DIY Cleaners

There are so many good cleaning recipes out there, but I would like to share a few that we use in our home.

All-Purpose Cleaner

• 1 3/4 c Water
  • 1 3/4 c Vinegar
  • 1 dropper full of Grapefruit Seed Extract or several drops of Tea Tree Oil
  • Optional: 1 tbs Dish Soap (a small squirt)

Pour the ingredients into a spray bottle and give it a gentle shake.  That’s it!

(If you love soap berries, try my Simple Soap Berry All-Pupose Cleaner Recipe!)

Glass Cleaner

• 1 1/3 c Water
  • 1 1/3 c Vinegar
  • 1 dropper full of Grapefruit Seed Extract or several drops of Tea Tree Oil
  • 1/3 c Rubbing Alcohol (this will give you a great streak-free shine)
  • Optional: 1 tbs Dish Soap (a small squirt)

Again, mix gently and you can leave out the dish soap and grapefruit seed extract (or TTO) if you need/want to.

All-Purpose Scrub

• Baking soda!

Add a bit of water to make this a paste and scrub away.  You could also use a bit of dish soap to make it soapy/scrubby.

Tough Water Marks/Soap Scum

• Apple cider vinegar.

In the bottom of the shower or sink, plug the drain, add hot water and some ACV.  Let it sit for a while and then you should be able to really wipe the scum away.

If you can’t let this sit (it’s on a virtical surface) try using hot water & ACV to scrub with.  Sometimes I’ll add a bit of baking soda too.  Be careful if doing this with hot water/acv as it will foam up quickly.

Fabric Softener

• Vinegar – use 1/4-1/2 cup per wash during the rinse cycle.

I like to use a Downy Ball to make it easy.

You could also use 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar & baking soda.  Some people like to mix these up beforehand in a large batch.  If you do this, be sure to do it in a large bucket or other basin.  This will fizz up a lot.  Stirring the baking soda in slowly will help with that.  Once you’re done you can put it into a container.  Be sure to give it a gently shake before each use as some of the baking soda may not dissolve completely.

Alternatively you could not use additives at all and simply keep some dryer balls in your dryer.  Read more about that here.

Bulk Clothing Laundry Detergent Recipe

More info &a a smaller batch recipe can be found here

Use 1-2 tablespoons per wash load.

Bulk Cloth Diaper Detergent Recipe

This also great for laundry. More info & a smaller batch recipe can be found here

Use 1 tablespoon per wash load – start out with half of this amount for a high efficiency machine.

If you use this for clothes use 2-3 tbs per load.

Stain Pretreater

Full instructions (with video) can be found in my DIY Laundry Pretreater tutorial.

Concerned about borax?
recent article by EWG cautions the use of borax for cleaning in the home noting that toddlers and young children face special risks from hand-to-mouth transfer of carpet or crack and crevice, dust or spray borax treatments. I would recommend not using borax as a general home cleaner – any cleaner (aside from pure water) used for these purposes will leave a residue.  I feel comfortable using the minuscule amount found in each use of the detergent. It is not used on open surfaces and is washed out during the rinse cycle.

You can read a bit more on this debate here – there are some great points of view in the comments.

JJINJERSEY September 7, 2009 at 5:25 pm

About how long is the shelf life? This sounds great!

Amanda September 13, 2009 at 2:05 pm

No clue, lol. I just keep it until it's gone :\ Haven't had a problem yet.

Lisa April 10, 2011 at 3:27 am

Great post!

Amy December 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I just made the cloth diaper soap and added some citric acid to it for hard water and it's AMAZING! No stinks!! Usually with the marketed diaper soaps I have to do more rinses and add soap to the first rinse to have diapers that smell decent but with the homemade, no soap in the rinse, no extra final rinses and not even a hint of stink! I'm SOLD!

JG Wright February 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Best Cleaning Solution Ever! To one gallon of warm water add 1/3 cup of Borax, 1 tsp of dish detergent, and 1 Tbsp ammonia. Cleans better than anything I have ever used.

Amanda February 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm

GREAT idea pre-treating with the fels!!!! I’m SOLD. I LOVED making my own detergent, just felt less chemical!! I’m going to make some this weekend maybe, or I may wait until I am out of my current supply. i will also do the softener, gotta get some more EOs!!!

MD March 28, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Clicking the link found here: “Alternatively you could not use additives at all and simply keep some dryer balls in your dryer. Read more about that here.”

Leads me here.

“This blog is open to invited readers only

It doesn’t look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request an invitation.”

Sort of pointless to write a public blog, then link to a private entry.

Amanda March 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I changed hosts recently and have come across the random ‘bug’. Thank you so much for letting me know, I fixed the link. It is the one below:

Jen M April 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hi Amanda! I have been following your blog for awhile now, and I’m looking to make some safe cleaners for around the house that actually disinfect. I am currently trying to keep the bathroom cleaned safely because I have a curious, crawling 9 month old who likes to investigate all things bathroom…problem is that I use the diaper sprayer and it sprays yuckiness all around the toilet, and I also have a 3 year old that has poop accidents and has to get sprayed down in the shower, leaving the tub dirty. I hate to disinfect daily with harsh chemicals. I have been using vinegar and water, but learned that it’s not actually killing the yucky stuff. Is the All Purpose Cleaner you have listed (water, vinegar, dish soap, tea tree oil) actually a disinfectant? And since tea tree oil has been found to cause issues for boys, do you think it’s okay to use just for cleaning if not applied directly to their skin?

Thanks so much!

J'Marinde Shephard June 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Thank you for this site. It is just what is needed in this age of mutliple chemicals. I suffer from MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) so most cleaners are no help to me and yours are a Godsend.
Thank you!
What about a disinfecting DIY all-purpose cleaner? Does the vinegar/water/dishsoap one do this?
Also what to use for a safe fresh veg/fruit wash – - one that also kills bacteria?
Thank you!

Doyle February 26, 2013 at 12:26 am

magnificent put up, very informative. I ponder why the
opposite specialists of this sector don’t realize this. You must proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

nike 通販 April 9, 2013 at 11:51 pm

happy time to play the game with you.

lovely dogs June 4, 2013 at 2:34 am

If you want to get a great deal from this piece of writing then you have to apply
these methods to your won webpage.

civil rights movement August 4, 2013 at 5:51 am

This is really attention-grabbing, You are an excessively
professional blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and stay up for in search of extra of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

Whey Gold Standard August 4, 2013 at 6:57 am

Thank you for some other informative site. Where else may I am getting that type of
information written in such a perfect manner?
I’ve a project that I’m just now running on, and
I have been on the look out for such information.

quickestfruit7144.sosblogs.com August 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Steve October 28, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I love these simple options. Anyone with a water ozonator will also find it’s highly effective at cleaning and disinfecting, though you’ve got to use it within about 15 minutes of making it so it’s still effective. (After that, it reverts to normal water.) Anyone with an ozone laundry system can also get water for general cleaning and at the same time ditch the detergent, bleach, and fabric softener while never heating water for laundry again. (Also the world’s easiest way to do laundry since you don’t have to “sort and soap” anymore! :)

Irvine heating repair November 16, 2013 at 11:38 pm

They are licensed in the mechanical and electrical fields, as well as fire protection contracting.
When few moisture molecules are present on indoor surfaces, static is better able to form and accumulate.
Buying a house is probably the most significant financial decision you will make, and there are many other
factors to consider as well, since this is the place where you and your family
may spend many years.

Facial Cleanser for Women November 27, 2013 at 1:17 am

Hi, thank you very much for help. I am going to test that in the near future. Cheers