Have I mentioned that I love babywearing?

affiliate disclosuremedical disclosure

Organic & Natural Mattresses

I was recently given the amazing opportunity to try out a new (to me) style of carrier. I have owned a wrap since my daughter was born and I do love it, but she’s a lot bigger now and quite frankly, my husband just won’t wear it. But he does like to wear the girls, so I went on the hunt for something that would work for him and be good for them.

I had heard of the ERGObaby carriers and the style looked perfect. No straps to tie, it looked like it would comfortably support a baby and be easy on the back, and most importantly (so I thought), was that my husband would wear it.

I contacted them and they were amazing in providing me an Organic ERGObaby carrier and infant insert

I anxiously waited… 1) Because I had never seen one, worn one, etc. and I couldn’t wait to see how it worked and be able to tell you about it 2) Because I was dying to see what one came (the have some beautiful carriers!) and 3) Because I could not wait for my husband to use it!

So it came and much to my surprise and pleasure, it was the exact model that I would have chosen! The packaging was great too, all boxes, no plastic wraps!

Isn’t it beautiful?! This is their Organic Cranberry Nautilus and Blush Beige Organic infant insert

I also want to show another style. This one is not organic, but is adorable and it seems to be very popular πŸ™‚ (They do have an organic infant insert in silver that matches this.)

The carrier features a amazing ergonomic design. It is 100% organic cotton twill (this thing is sturdy!). It has a 100% organic cotton batting and 100% organic cotton sateen lining and hood. I *love* the hood by the way! Great for sunny days, windy days, sleeping baby, going to stores (keeping people away!), etc.

The shoulder straps on these are nice and thick and *very* easy on the shoulders and back. The same goes for the waist belt. It is very comfortable and supportive.

These carriers are also durability &strength tested up to 90 pounds. That is incredible!

The buckles on these are *fantastic*. Not only does it buckle (instead of tie, which I find hugely convenient, and my husband doesn’t deem ‘girly’), but the straps have elastic on the ends to secure it (folded up) so that you don’t have straps dangling all over and looking messy.

Let me talk about the insert a bit πŸ™‚

I have played around with this a little and have used just a blanket, nothing at all and the insert. The insert is so nice. It snuggles her down in and she just sleeps, no slouching. Which, for such a little baby (she’s almost 3 months now and 13 lbs) is important. It also has a pillowy cushion in bottom of it to give the baby soft support and help with positioning and keeping pressure off of the baby’s spine, hips and sacrum (read more about this here, it’s important to know!). My daughter seemed to love it btw πŸ˜€ So cozy!

Here I am (2nd from the left) wearing the ERGO with infant insert for my first outting with it πŸ™‚ As you may or may not know, this blog is the result of the Eco-Friendly Family board on theBump.com (so many questions and wanted a place to put tips, answers, etc!)

Anyhow, I am in Ohio and the ladies of Ohio and surrounding, wanted to do a get together. We met up at the beautiful home of one of our regular board members and I was all to happy to have the ERGO with me. Soon after arriving, she was fussy, wanting to sleep after eating, and just sitting around wasn’t doing the trick. I pulled out the ERGO and she was soon asleep and I was hands free to eat and move about πŸ™‚

After leaving, the lady I drove up with and I went shopping at a nearby outlet mall. The place was packed (and huge – so much walking). I am also a bit of a germaphobe (not extreme, but very careful… it started with my oldest daughter’s premature birth). Anyhow, I put the hood up for protection, she slept and we shopped! It was fantastic and *so easy*.

So, I mentioned that I looked into this carrier, a lot, for my husband. I didn’t expect to love it so much! He has used it when we’ve gone shopping, and it is so cute! I haven’t been able to sneak a picture yet, but when I do, it is so up!

I have worn both my my 3 month old and 21 month old in this. My baby girl loves it and sleeps like an angel. My older daughter comes to me asking to be put in it! She loves it and I love that I can comfortably wear her and give her the Mommy time that she needs and that we both want πŸ™‚

I even popped my son (almost 5) in it just to see. Before I said anything, he blurts out “Oh this is so comfy!” So, yea, even though I knew it, but my younger two can’t tell me, I now know *for sure* that it is indeed comfortable πŸ™‚

I feel like I’m rambling on here, and I may be, but there is just so much to say about this carrier. I am really loving it. I can’t begin to tell you how convenient this carrier is. I have my straps set where I like them and I just pop it on. I have 3 kids, and being able to wear one while tending to the others is great, and because it is so easy off and on, it just makes a world of difference.

Oh! That reminds me of another huge HUGE plus! I don’t get hot wearing it! I am often busy around here and wearing your baby can get you a little warm, not so much from the carriers, but from them being so close to you and all of that. I don’t get hot in the ERGO. I *love* that about it. I have found that I use it all of the time and I grab for it because it works and it’s easy.

A few notes here and then I’ll let you go, I promise πŸ˜€

I love my ERGObaby carrier and my daughter loves her baby dolls. She has been spotted around the house putting her babies in her shirt to carry them like mommy does. I was thrilled to see that ERGO also makes a doll carrier, so guess who’s getting one for Christmas πŸ˜€

I got this one, it will go nicely with Mommy’s πŸ™‚ I’ll get picks up of L wearing it after Christmas when she has hers πŸ™‚ I took a sneak peak at it and can tell you that I was *amazed* by the quality of this toy! The fabric is a very sturdy canvas. This is not a cheaply made toy and is worth every penny, if not more! I can’t imagine this thing ever wearing out.

The ERGO carrier also has several accessories (insert, front pouch, backpack, weather cover, changing pad, and more). There is one that I already know I have to have πŸ˜€

They are sucking pads, and they do come in organic! They will help protect the carrier straps, and thus it’s longevity (depending on your baby’s chewing abilities, lol)

I have a little baby and she does like to suck on things and will soon enough be chewing on things, so these are absolutely on my wish list!

Okay, so I’ve rambled on and on. I hope that I’ve covered everything here. I’m sure I’ve missed something (I always do!) If I think of anything I’ll be sure to add it here on in a new post when I get pics of my husband and daughter wearing the carriers πŸ™‚

Thank you for reading this πŸ™‚ If you haven’t worn your baby and would like to, I highly recommend this carrier.

I’ll leave you now with a couple of pics of me wearing it with my two baby girls πŸ™‚ Sorry for the pic w/out the insert with my youngest… I was trying to hurry to get my husband to help take a quick pick before dinner one night πŸ˜› (yes, i’m a slacker, I know) Also, notice how the carrier cradles and conforms to their little bodies, it looks so comfy, not harsh πŸ™‚

Amanda Hearn

Amanda Hearn

Founder of The Eco-Friendly Family, design geek, serial tanktopist, content creator, mother, coffee addict, & lover of fun. I am also a partner at Green Child Magazine & Put A Cup In It!
Amanda Hearn

Emily B December 2, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Wow, great review. This does look like a great carrier. And I love the colours available!

Kara - Wife, Momma, Doula December 2, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I am so jealous! That is a beautiful carrier!!! I just have a Moby but I have been wanting to get a new carrier. We are just tight on money so I am trying to make the Moby work πŸ™‚

I am in Ohio too..NE Ohio.

Colin and Abbie December 2, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I am trying to decide between the Ergo and Beco Butterfly.. have you tried the Beco?

Abbie December 2, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Kathy December 2, 2009 at 6:57 pm

What a great review and it looks so comfy!! I may have to look into getting one! thanks!

Catrina December 2, 2009 at 6:57 pm

miamihoney December 3, 2009 at 1:48 am

Great review. I have the Beco Butterfly and I feel the same way.

One Southern Girl December 3, 2009 at 5:29 am

I'd love to get a Ergo carrier too. I have a brother w/special needs (Down Syndrome) and he loves to be carried and the sling that I carry him in can get really uncomfortable.

I'm glad to hear that you could carry your 5 yo in it. Because 'J' will turn 5, going on 2 1/2:) this December.

3r_kowgirl December 3, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I have an Ergo and we LOVE it. We wear it on walks, shopping, doing tourist stuff in NYC and Philly. We just love it. It is so comfy for both my husband and I, we often 'fight' over who gets to wear it πŸ˜‰
I also was going back and forth between Beco and Ergo. After much deliberation and speaking with gals I knew we went with the Ergo, it just seemed like the best choice for mommy, daddy and baby!

Ness December 3, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Amanda December 3, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Colin and Abbie said…

—–

I have not tried the Beco, so I really can't compare. Perhaps in the future I could answer that for you.

Hopefully someone who reads this can offer some insight.

Amanda Hearn December 3, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Colin and Abbie said…

—–

Hopefully someone who reads this can offer some insight.

Emily December 4, 2009 at 2:56 am

I love my ergo – for those who were asking between the Beco and Ergo the tipping point for me on the ergo was how easy it is to breastfeed in it – the beco has extra material that make it harder – not impossible but definetly harder. Good color choice! How does you son like the back carry??

Emily - faliLV December 4, 2009 at 2:56 am

JoyfulJ November 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I adore my ergo! I've gotten some desperately needed work done with it that was impossible with the wrap as he isn't old enough for me to feel comfortable trying to put him on my back with it. But the ergo is so easy to put him on my back! I'm been designing a way I could make not just my own suck pads for it but also a cloth toy I could sew on to the suck pad as well!
I love the idea of the doll carrier! When I have a daughter I will definitely get one or perhaps make one! I wish I had known about these when my older son was a baby, he wanted to be held constantly and was 25lbs by the time he was a year old, my second son who I carry in the ergo is 22 lbs now and he is not quite 6 months. So the carriers have been a huge blessing!
I read your post months ago and was one of the deciding factors of me buying one…the other was a wonderful mother who let me borrow hers during my shifts working at the local consignment sale…Duck Duck Goose, totally won me over…I'm a little curious how she could bear going with out it for a whole week! After wearing it for the first shift I double checked to make sure she didn't want me to pick it up and drop it off before and after each shift. She laughed and said that since her daughter has been trying to walk she has thrown a fit when ever she tried to wear her so she hadn't used it but once in almost a week. It was a wonderful week and I couldn't buy my own fast enough!
Thanks for spreading the news of these wonderful carriers!

nike April 9, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I like this weblog so much

Kayla October 5, 2013 at 10:22 am

This is THE best carrier i have ever tried! love my ergo

Natalie November 9, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Really wanting to try out the ergo. Have used several carriers, but I just haven’t been IN LOVE. The only thing stopping me is the price tag. Hard for a cheapie like me to swallow.