We’ve been hit!

affiliate disclosuremedical disclosure

Colds are rare here, but we’ve managed to pick one up.  It started with our son and then knocked out me and our daughters last night.  My husband is the only one left standing.  Let’s hope that he makes it through this without it πŸ™‚

I have been drinking tea with honey & eating bits of honey to sooth my scratchy throat.  Chicken noodle soup was a little help as well.  I have given my older two honey, but can’t for my youngest (she’s 6 1/2 months).

I am not a pro at dealing with colds so I thought I would put my questions to you.  I would love any home remedies that you use, have tried, know of, etc. for both adults and children.

Thank you for sharing with me.  My family thanks you too.

Amanda Hearn

Amanda Hearn

Founder of The Eco-Friendly Family, design geek, serial tanktopist, content creator, mother, coffee addict, & lover of fun. I am also a partner at Green Child Magazine & Put A Cup In It!
Amanda Hearn

Dina March 28, 2010 at 2:05 pm

oh i am a pro! the honey is good. rather than chicken soup make a very strong garlic soup (in chicken broth). We also load up on elderberry (also known as samubocol) they sell chewables or the tincture. i prefer the tincture but the kids might like the chewables. Also wishgarden herbs has a tincture called Kick-Ass Immune and Kick-It for kids, unfortunately it may be difficlut for you to get on short notice. so have it around for next time. also essential oils of eucalytus radiata, naouli is good to put in a humidifier, the bath or diluted in a carrier oil and rubbed on feet and back. If you are going to do tea, get a "cold" tea, traditional medicinals makes one for adults and another for kids. (we have this brand in our safeway so you don't neccisarily have to go to health food store). If you use essential oils on the baby, you must only use one drop in a tablespoon of a carrier oil such as almond or olive if that is all you have. I will see what else I can think of. The traditional medicinal tea for kids can be diluted in more water and put in a bottle for the babe, or if you drink a strong tea she will get it through your breastmilk.

Dina March 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm

oh i almost forgot, if you don't already take a probiotic do that as well, you can increase the dosage while you are getting over this. I also bath in something called Dr. Singh's Mustard Bath available in health food stores. (don't worry it does not smell like mustard)

joes_love March 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm

vicks vaporub on the bottom of your feet before bed, put on thick cotton socks to keep it in and warm it up. baby vicks works for the youngest one.

get a towel and soak it in hot water, wrap it around LO's chest until it cools. helps to break up anything in the chest and just feels good. hot steamy bathrooms are fun too. it's not very EF, but i run the shower as hot as can be until the room is steamy and then we play in the bathroom until the steam is gone.

i also let LO have popsicles if he's saying his throat hurts.
and of course, chicken soup and tea which you're already doing πŸ™‚

Anonymous March 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I swear by a neti pot! At the first sign of a cold, I flush out my nasal passages 2-3 times a day and I can usually skirt around the cold, or at least keep it relatively minor. (I use the sinu-cleanse brand packs to mix in the water, but you can easily make your own

Soyager March 28, 2010 at 5:39 pm

The best thing I've found to work for colds is rest, rest, rest, rest, rest and warm fluids!

According to Annemarie Colbin (author of Food and Healing which I LOVE and quote all of the time), the old saying about colds ("feed a cold; starve a fever") has gotten misquoted. The saying used to be "Feed a cold AND YOU'LL HAVE to starve a fever." Basically, your body can fight off most things on its own, but if you throw the task of digestion into the mix, the body has to work overtime.

So, drink warm teas and broths, miso, veggie-based soups (meat & wheat are too much to digest) and believe in the body's power to heal πŸ™‚

Western Mass Mama March 30, 2010 at 5:24 am

OJ, a neti pot, and this "tea": steep lots of crushed garlic cloves (the more the better – about 5-10) in appx 2 Cups boiling water for 10 mins; strain; then mix in 1/2 Cup lemon juice and 1/2 Cup honey. drink it up! Save half for later if you like or just make more later. Good luck!

Marisa L. S. April 1, 2010 at 3:04 am

I agree with a lot of what others have commented! Essential oils are great–try Thieves on the feet and in the diffuser. Peppermint is great for congestion. For a scratchy throat, gargle with organic apple cider vinegar and cayenne. For sinus congestion, try boiling a combo of half water, half apple cider vinegar and inhale the steam. Feel better!