Read Green: My Guilty Pleasure

affiliate disclosuremedical disclosure

For Christmas, my dear, loving husband made an enormous, yet generous mistake.  He bought me a Kindle.  Okay so it’s not really a mistake, but it’s barely the middle of January and I think I’m on my eighth book.  Do you have any idea how tempting (and easy!) it is to read with any book you want at your fingertips?  No ordering and waiting for the mail, no running to the bookstore.  It’s amazing.

I have seen e-readers for a while now but the price point has been just out of my comfort range.  These puppies are now just $139.  Oh and there are thousands of books that you can read for free!  Here are just a few sites to get you started: Project GutenbergManybooks.net, Amazon – here and here … even Google.

So, when I first heard of e-readers, I was a little skeptical.  While I get the convenience of reading anywhere, I have read books on my computer before, and it’s just not as fun – especially if you’re like me and your eyes don’t like it for long periods of time.  When I first opened my Kindle there was a startup image that I thought was some sort of display film to be removed.  It turned out that no, that’s the screen!  The E Ink Pearl technology in these e-readers is amazing.  It honestly looks like I’m reading from the page of a book (minus paper grain).  Another of the (many) big bonuses with the E Ink Pearl technology, is that unlike some e-readers – you can read this in bright sunlight, etc. without being unable to see the page due to glare.  I don’t have an iPad (or similar device) to provide my own photo but the image found here (and to your right) shows a comparison of an iPad vs Kindle in direct sunlight – the iPad is at max brightness.

Below are some images from my Kindle.  First up is one of the many screensavers you will see when you turn off your Kindle.

Personally, I love these but there are methods (ways around) of changing these as well (According to Amazon – Customer Service does not support or provide instructions for adding custom images to your Kindle to be used as screen savers. However, should you choose to do this on your own it will not void your warranty.)

Here you can see my Kindle up against our local newspaper.

Above you can see the font options.  You can adjust the font, line spacing, words per line and screen orientation.  From this menu you can even -get this- have it read to you, fast, slow, normal – male or female.

I have to admit that I’ve never been a big reader.  I have read a few book series in my life, but now that I have my Kindle, I can’t seem to stop.  I am loving it.  With the Kindle, there is no waste.  No books that will be read once and then put onto a shelf, never to be read again – or if their lucky donated.  In 2005, 3.1 billion books were sold in the US 1.  Imagine if each of those were replaced by a digital version.

In addition to saving paper, the Kindle saves energy.  Of course it has been manufactured, but just once, and with the wireless feature turned off – the Kindle can last an entire month on a single charge.  How amazing is that!  I don’t see how you can go wrong with one of these.  I just wish I had one sooner!

There is so much more that I’d like to talk about, but I suppose this is getting a bit long so we’ll address them later.

Do you have an e-reader?  How do you like it?  Do you have questions about getting an e-reader?  Perhaps I can help.  Leave your comments below; I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Amanda Hearn

Amanda Hearn

Founder of The Eco-Friendly Family, design geek, serial tanktopist, content creator, mother, coffee addict, & lover of fun. I am also a partner at Green Child Magazine & Put A Cup In It!
Amanda Hearn
Katy at Put Your Big Girl Panties On & Deal With It January 14, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I would LOVE a kindle-but like you I haven't bought one yet because of the price. However, $139 doesn't seem too bad. I may just have to invest in one of these 🙂

hattonlife January 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I have had a Nook for about 6 months and I can't tell you how many books I have read. Big plus for me, the e-books are so much cheaper than paper copies and I don't have to worry so much about trees being cut down so I can read a book once! My nook can be read outside as well in bright sunlight (one of the selling points for me) and it is amazing how similar they feel compared to books. Kudos to the hubby for purchasing for you. May you discover the world through your Kindle.

Justine January 14, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I personally hate e-readers.
Reasons:
1.) I've tried both the nook and the kindle and both are hard on my eyes after awhile.
2.) There have been a lot of issues with words and images not transferring well to the e-reader format.
3.) They just don't have the tangible feel of books and I can't just pass out my books to share. For example, my mom had a long flight home this week and forgot to pack a book. I gave her a book of Ray Bradbury short stories that she will get back to me when she visits again in a few months.
4.) Also on traveling, if I lose a book on the train, it's not a huge loss. I buy mostly used anyway, so unless it's a textbook, I lose $5 or less. If I lose the Kindle, I lose $120.
5.) I question how eco-friendly it is to use electronics that will break down in 5-10 years and be tossed vs. books that will last on bookshelves for over 100 years and then biodegrade.

We go to the library twice a week and any books I purchase are usually well-loved. When I do buy a new book, it rapidly becomes well-loved because I share it with family and friends or sell it to the used bookstore.

One January 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I gotta say i don't like them either, they hurt my eyes for some reason, they feel awkward in my hand, and i just love the feel of a book in my hand, they way they look on the shelves, the way the smell. I'm a total gadget geek, but i just can't get into these =(

The Eco-Friendly Family - Amanda January 14, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Good points, thanks for weighing in. I found that adjusting the font made it pleasurable to my eye. I can actually read longer (comfortably)this way than I did with books. I would love a book style cover, though, to give the feel of holding a book, as well as being easier to hold one handed. I found some great covers on Etsy.com, which I plan to talk about in a future post.

Mini MNM's January 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love my Kindle. My mom had one and I told her that I would love one for Christmas. Her and my brother got me one so it would be affordable for both of them to get me (instead of one person shelling out the expensive price.)I love how Amazon has a one click download which are mostly free (although I did accidentally download one that I had to pay for.) As long as I turn my wifi off, it will last for almost a month. LOL I was reading in bed the other night and the low battery flashed on and I about had a heart attack until I realized that I could just charge it. I love it and use it daily!

Ellen January 16, 2011 at 5:12 am

I've been seriously considering a Kindle but I'm not sure if I'd like the *feel* of it. I really enjoy the book itself – the way it smells – the way it feels – the whole experience.

The Eco-Friendly Family - Amanda January 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I love it, though I do like the feel of holding a book. I've seen some nice cases that open like a book, even some made from books (pages hollowed enough to hold the e-reader). I think I'm going to look into a case that opens like that.

AprilJT January 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I LOVE my kindle but its way to easy to hit that buy button so my husband doesn't love it as much!

LeLe January 25, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I was apprehensive when the e-readers started coming out. Honestly, I was anti-e-reader at first. I just love books so much (I was an English major) and if you've ever read Fahrenheit 451, I was afraid I'd be that old lady who died with her books. BUT, I had to check out the Kindle when it came out and I absolutely adore it. It does look just like ink and paper. I have a ton of books I've read once and never read again that I need to donate. I will still read print books but the Kindle is perfect for all the paperbacks I would have bought but don't have room for that aren't must-haves.

Comments on this entry are closed.