Spinach Lasagna

When I met my husband – trying to impress me – he told me that he’d have to make his spinach lasagna for me. I can tell you that I was less than impressed, and the thought of eating spinach had me a bit worried.  I grew up thinking that all spinach came from a can and was drenched in vinegar.  Because I was utterly smitten I simply smiled and nodded.  Finally, the day came that my proud husband (then boyfriend) gathered the ingredients and prepared this dish for me. I took a bite and was IN LOVE! I never imagined that I would love spinach.  I now eat it in all shapes and forms… minus the canned stuff of course.  It’s truly fantastic and super easy to make.

I would like to share with you now our simple, yet super yummy recipe for spinach lasagna.
Ingredients:
• ½ lb Lasagna Noodles (Takes approx. 10 noodles)
• 1 lb Ricotta
• 1 c Monterey Jack
• ½ c Grated Parmesan
• 20 oz. Frozen Spinach, thawed and drained (a 16 oz bag will work too)
• Sauce of choice
Instructions:
Cover bottom of lasagna pan with 1/3 of the sauce. Arrange layer of uncooked noodles on bottom. Cover with second 1/3 of the sauce. Combine ricotta, parmesan and spinach and spoon ½ of the mixture over the noodles. Put a second layer of noodles over the cheese mixture, then the rest of the cheese mixture. Cover with the remaining sauce. Top with the Monterey Jack. Cover with foil, domed so that the cheese doesn’t stick to the top.
Bake 45 Minutes at 375 degrees.
Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more.
Allow to set for ½ hour before cutting to serve.

*Ross and Katy* January 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I love spinach…except for the canned kind! This recipe looks yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing :)

wigglewagon January 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I looooove spinach! I'm so excited to try this recipe.

greenTXmom February 10, 2011 at 6:24 pm

This sounds amazing!! So nice to see fellow green moms. :) I am a new follower, I would lvoe for you to follow back and we can see what each other has to offer. :) http://southernfriedgreenmom.blogspot.com/

Jodie February 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Have you ever tried freezing this? If I assembled and froze it (instead of baking right away), would it still turn out?

The Eco-Friendly Family - Amanda February 14, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I haven't frozen this one (or any) but I have had other frozen vegetable lasagnas that were great. I can't see why this one wouldn't work :)

As a side note, I've also considered adding chicken to this lasagna for some variation.

Elizabeth Parker February 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

We are definitely going to have to try this! It sounds amazing! Yum! :) My oldest loves spinach, and my husband is trying to like it. :P

Nicole March 18, 2013 at 10:30 am

Have you tried this with fresh spinach?

Amanda March 18, 2013 at 11:12 am

I keep meaning to but haven’t yet. I would suggest wilting the spinach to make mixing easy. I’m not quite sure how much it would take, though I’d probably try somewhere between 1 and 2 lbs fresh.

Erin Ely September 26, 2013 at 10:59 am

this looks delicious, I’ve been meaning to add either spinach or chard to my lasagne for a while so this will definitely get me going on this.

Sarah Hayes October 27, 2014 at 4:57 pm

this looks delicious. we eat a lot of spinach here so this recipe would be a huge hit. thanks for sharing