Not only did I not know what I was consuming, it was expensive! A small frappe, iced capp, etc. can run $2.50-$5 a piece depending on where you buy it. I was tired of the whole thing, so I decided to play with a recipe of my own. It took a little trial and error, but I’ve ended up with a recipe that I think is the bees knees. I actually prefer it over buying one at any place I’ve tried them (no more corn syrup flavor!). The mix does contain creamer, and I know it’s not the most healthy thing in the world but it’s a small amount and well, I’m shamefully addicted.
I won’t make you wait any longer. This is my delicious iced capp/frappe recipe. If you try it out, I’d love to hear what you think and/or how you like to use the mix!
Also, if you’re like me and miss the feel of one of those great cups in your hand, try out a reusable cold cup like this one! I have two and just love them.
- 1/2 c instant coffee (adjust to taste) (don't do caffeine? use decaf!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup non-fat dry milk powder (one package)
- 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients together well (I like to dump them all in my food processor to mix well).
- If you like a stronger/weaker coffee or mocha flavor, adjust those two ingredients accordingly.
- Stores perfectly in a 1 quart jar for up to a year.
- 1 1/2 cup crushed ice + 1/3 cup mocha mix + 1/4 cup water + 1/4 cup milk = Bliss
- I like to toss my crushed ice into my food processor first and blend until it looks a bit like snow, add mix & water, process until well blended and then add in my milk. I blend just until it's mixed (7-10 seconds).
Other ways to try this mix!
Mocha Milk Shake
1/4 cup mix + splash of milk + vanilla ice cream
1 cup of milk + 1 cup of cold water + 1/4 cup mix
1 cup water heated, pour in 1/2 cup mix, add 1 cup milk and then pour over ice.
Mix it up!
Use flavored creamers for a twist.
Not a Coffee Lover?
This makes a great mix without the coffee in it. Use it in any of the above recipe methods for an icy chocolate treat. My kids love it!
Mix (not including added milk) – 140 Calories & 2g Fat (can be reduced by using non-fat creamer)
Made with Whole Milk – 177 Calories & 4g Fat
Made with 2% Milk – 147.5 Caloreis & 3.25g Fat
Made with 1% Milk – 142.5 Calories & 2.75g Fat
Made with Fat Free Milk – 143 Calories & 2g Fat
Milk nutritional content is based on Stonyfield Organic Milk
McDonalds Frappe (16 oz no whipped cream or chocolate drizzle) – 470 Calories & 17g Fat
Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino (16 oz without whipped cream) – 260 Calories & 3.5g Fat
Tim Horton’s Iced Cappuchinno (16 oz without whipped cream) – 250 Calories & 2g Fat
For a little more fun, check out my Low Cal Iced Coffee Recipe.