Salads Made Easy!

Mmmm, I love a blog post that result in yummy eats!

I love salads, but finding the time to prep them on a daily bases is not always easy.  I know it doesn’t take a whole lot of time, but if you’ve met my girls, you’d know that it takes ninja stealth to prepare food without them knowing and zooming in to eat it all.

In addition to losing time, I often lose my salad makings too.  I buy large tubs of greens or spinach, only to have it go bad before I can eat it all (you can also freeze it for adding to cooked dishes before it’s a lost cause).  The large tub is 4 times the product, for only 2x the price of the smaller ones, so I generally try to buy the large tub for the savings.

I’ve owned a vacuum sealer for quite some time, but the canisters are a bit pricey and I didn’t want more plastic items in my kitchen.  Then I heard about the jar sealer attachment.  I have plenty of canning jars around here, and I even hang onto old lids for general storage, so once I got my sealer for Christmas I was ready to roll!

Supplies:
Wide Mouth Jars
Wide Mouth Lids (I save used ones for this!)
Vacuum Sealer
Vacuum Sealer Jar Attachment
Salad Fixings: Greens, Avocados, Carrots, Cheese, Olives, Mushrooms, Onions, Tomatoes – Whatever you like!

Dice up your veggies and layer your ingredients in, and if you want to measure in the salad dressing, add it first (so it’s on the bottom) and the greens on top.  When you’re ready to eat simply pour it out on your plate and enjoy!

I’ve kept my prepared salads up to a week in the jars with everything staying in perfect shape, including the avocados!  If you’d like to see my favorite method for cutting up an avocado for salads and sandwiches, check out this video!

Anonymous January 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm

That is genius!

Anonymous January 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm

My husband used to like the salad shakers from Mc'D's (I know, I know). This would work the same way – too neat!

Regan S February 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I LOVE this idea! My husband brings salad for lunch often so I think I may have to invest in some jars

Jessica K. February 9, 2012 at 9:30 am

This is so awesome. Now I just really need a vacuum sealer.

Krista H February 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Oh, this is brilliant. As a SAHM, I end up eating crap (Pizza Rolls, anyone?) for lunch more often than not, just because I let myself go until I am starving before I even think about what I could make, and then I’m too impatient with hunger to make something good. This would solve my problem though! I could make 5 of these for the fridge every Sunday night. Thanks for the great idea!

Rachel N February 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Neat idea. I have the same problem in my house, no time to prepare healthy food for myself. It seems as though the kids get a good meal and mommy just has time to grab whatever.

Carly T October 18, 2013 at 10:41 pm

This is a great idea! I rarely make salads because I like lots of veggies but don’t like all the chopping. I have a vacuum sealer that works for jars, but never thought of this! I’ll have to try it.