What Menstrual Cup Is Right For You?

This page regularly updated and is best viewed in ‘desktop mode’ because of the tables & photo comparison tools. If you are on mobile, you can easily toggle to desktop view at the bottom of this page (click here).

With my recent posts on cups, I have seen the same questions many times – one of which is “What cup should I buy?”  You want to know that you are buying the right cup for you, and to be honest, it’s not a perfect science – but you can make an educated guess.  Chances are, you’ll love your cup!

When I was first considering a cup, I chose based on the only cup that I had heard of – The Diva Cup.  I was very pleased with my cup and it worked great for me.  I have since tried several other cups (including Lunette, MCUK, & Sckoon) and all but one cup worked perfectly for me.  When choosing your cup, keep in mind that they are all relatively similar, so there is no need to over analyze and stress out over the choices. Choose your cups with the tips below in mind and chances are you’ll love your cup.

Consider the diameter you need and the length you want and go from there.

Most manufacturers suggest that women under 30, who have never had a vaginal birth, should wear the smaller size they offer, while women over 30, or who have had a vaginal birth, should wear the larger size. This is a general rule – all women are different. For example, if you are over 30 and have children you may still have a strong pelvic floor if you’re active and you may feel more comfortable in a smaller cup. Know your body and make a decision based on that alongside the manufacturer’s suggestions.

If you know how high or low your cervix sits during menstruation, that may also play a role in the cup you choose.  You can determine where your cervix sits by inserting a finger to find it. If it’s hard to reach (or you can’t reach it at all) your cervix is high and you’ll likely want a longer cup (like the Diva Cup, Lily Cup, or XL Me Luna). If you have a cervix that is easy to reach but not extremely low, you may be just fine with most lengths – though you may find that you prefer to trim or remove the stem from some (or all) cups. If your cervix sits just inside of your vagina (an inch or so inside) you have a low cervix and will want to choose a shorter cup (like the MeLuna Shorty).

I find that a shorter cup is my preference, but I also know many women that prefer a longer cup either for a higher cervix or because they can be easier to reach. Something else to consider is the stem.  For me, the stem isn’t an issue since I cut them off, but your preferences may be different, so keep that in mind too.

Another thing to consider is flow.  Many women think that they have a super flow, but in reality the average woman has a moderate flow with studies showing a range from 30-120 ml (or 2-8 tablespoons) for their entire period.  I personally know women who have a “heavy flow” and love their cup – so if that’s your flow, a cup can work for you!  I suggest choosing a cup with a higher capacity, though like many women you may find that a cup lightens your flow.

Last but not least is cup firmness. Generally speaking, larger cups are a bit more firm than their counterparts. A firm cup will pop open easier. If you have a very sensitive bladder, you may want to look for a softer cup.

Menstrual Cup Comparison ChartThe table below is a size comparison for several brands of cups, the first set are brands that I have personally used (testing does not equal endorsement).  The cups below are all made from silicone, with the exception of the Keeper (Rubber) and Me Luna cups (TPE). These cups range in price from about $20 – $40 – and they are well worth it!

Menstrual Cup Comparison Chart

Brand Size Length Diameter Capacity Stem Sizing / Misc Features
Diva Cup 1 2.25″ 1.69″ 30 ml .38″ Hollow Round <30
Diva Cup 2 2.25″ 1.81″ 30 ml .38″ Hollow Round >30 or After Childbirth
FemmyCycle Petite 1.5″ 1.22″ 17.5 ml .75″ Ring Before Childbirth
FemmyCycle Regular 1.69″ 1.42″ 30 ml .79″ Ring After Childbirth
FemmyCycle Low Cervix 1.69″ 1.42″ 30 ml .28″ Ring Low Cervix
JuJu Cup 1 1.81″ 1.57″ 20 ml .75″ Solid Thin Before Childbirth
JuJu Cup 2 1.97″ 1.81″ 30 ml .75″ Solid Thin After Childbirth
LENA Small 1.81″ 1.57″ 25 ml Solid Flat Before Childbirth (light to med flow)
LENA Large 2″ 1.77″ 30 ml Solid Flat After Childbirth (med to heavy flow)
Lily Cup A 3.07″ 1.57″ 25 ml Length includes stem <30
Lily Cup B 3.07″ 1.7″ 28 ml Length includes stem >30 or After Childbirth
Lily Cup Compact A 2.28″ 1.65″ 20 ml Length includes stem <30
Lily Cup Compact B 2.28″ 1.77″ 25 ml Length includes stem >30 or After Childbirth
Lunette 1 1.9″ 1.6″ 25 ml 1″ Solid Flat Younger or Light Flow
Lunette 2 2″ 1.8″ 30 ml .8″ Solid Flat Normal-Heavy Flow
MCUK (Mooncup UK) A 1.97″ 1.81″ 30 ml .83″ Hollow Round >30 or After Childbirth
MCUK (Mooncup UK) B 1.97″ 1.69″ 30 ml .83″ Hollow Round <30
Sckoon Cup 1 1.77″ 1.57″ 23 ml 1″ Thin Soft Taper Before Childbirth
Sckoon Cup 2 1.97″ 1.77″ 30 ml .81″ Thin Soft Taper After Childbirth

These cups in the table above have been reviewed by me, or are currently being reviewed.

Brand Size Length Diameter Capacity Stem Sizing / Misc Features
EvaCup Small 1.97″ 1.65″ 25 ml .47″ Solid Round Before Childbirth
EvaCup Large 2.24″ 1.77″ 30 ml .47″ Solid Round After Childbirth
Femmecup One Size 1.97″ 1.77″ 30 ml .59″ Solid Round (18ml Capacity to Holes)
Fleurcup Small 1.85″ 1.61″ 20 ml .91″ Solid Flat Before Childbirth (light flow)
Fleurcup Large 2.05″ 1.81″ 28.5 ml .71″ Solid Flat After Childbirth (heavier flow)
Keeper A 2.13″ 1.81″ 21 ml 1″ After Childbirth / Rubber
Keeper B 2.05″ 1.73″ 25 ml 1″ Before Childbirth / Rubber
Keeper Moon Cup A 2.13″ 1.81″ 21 ml 1″ After Childbirth
Keeper Moon Cup B 2.05″ 1.73″ 25 ml 1″ Before Childbirth
LadyCup Small 1.81″ 1.57″ 21 ml .75″ Hollow Round <25
LadyCup Large 2.09″ 1.81″ 34 ml .51″ Hollow Round >25 or After Childbirth
MeLuna S 1.77″ 1.5″ 15 ml .47″ Stem, .31″ Ball, or .39″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna M 1.89″ 1.61″ 20 ml .51″ Stem, .35″ Ball, or .47″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna L 2″ 1.73″ 24 ml .59″ Stem, .43″ Ball, or .59″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna XL 2.2″ 1.85″ 30 ml .59″ Stem, .35″ Ball, or .51″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty S 1.38″ 1.5″ 8 ml .47″ Stem, .28″ Ball, or .39″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty M 1.5″ 1.61″ 10 ml .51″ Stem, .28″ Ball, or .39″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty L 1.61″ 1.73″ 14 ml .55″ Stem, .28″ Ball, or .43″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty XL 1.73″ 1.85″ 16 ml .59″ Stem, .31″ Ball, or .43″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
Ruby Cup S 1.81″ 1.57″ 24 ml .67″ Stem Light Periods
Ruby Cup M 2″ 1.77″ 34 ml .75″ Stem Heavy Periods
Shecup One Size 2.13″ 1.73″ 28 ml .22″ Knob
Yuuki 1 1.93″ 1.61″ 25 ml .71″ Hollow Round Before Childbirth
Yuuki 2 2.2″ 1.81″ 37 ml .71″ Hollow Round >28 or After Childbirth

These cups in the table above have not been reviewed by me.

Cup Comparison Tools

Slide each image to easily compare cups. I’ll be adding to this as I receive new cups, so be sure to check back, and feel free to suggest a cup.

Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide & Visual Tool
Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide & Visual Tool

Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide & Visual Tool
Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide & Visual Tool

Don’t see the brand you were looking for?  If I was unable to find a store that shipped to the US, the cup was omitted from this list.  If you know of a shop, I would be happy to add it to this list. Please leave a comment or email me.

Interested in having your cup featured here? Please email me.

Menstrual cup size chart and comparison tool. Slide each image to easily compare cup shapes, sizes, and features.

Menstrual cup size chart and comparison tool. Slide image to easily compare cup shapes, sizes, and features.

Tabatha April 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This is very useful in determining which brand to go with. Sometimes with so many options out there it can be really confusing! =)

Amy Hartman April 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Would a cup work well for after child birth? I’m due in October and considering this instead of those huge ‘mommy Pampers’ pads they gave me for my son… (I’ll probably be having a repeat c section, so I don’t have to worry about vaginal healing or anything)

Amanda April 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm

It is not recommended by any of the manufacturers, and I wouldn’t use one for lochia. Perhaps after a some weeks when the bleeding slows, but I would ask your physician or midwife before doing that.

I hated the awful pads too, even the store bought ones. They chaffed and were very uncomfortable. You might consider cloth. You could even DIY. This pattern is super easy to use and is a great way to use up scrap fabrics.

Tabatha July 18, 2012 at 6:35 am

You also can’t use tampons after birth until your 6 week check up so cups would be the same. Nothing is supposed to go up there until then because your cervix doesn’t close immediately after delivery, and you are opening yourself up to infections if you use things. Not to mention, ouch!! I could not imagine putting anything inside for a while after birth. I’m going with some type of postpartum cloth. I’ve heard they are super comfy. I really don’t know about a c-section though, you would think that your cervix and all that would still be sensitive for a few weeks, I’m not really sure though. I would ask your doctor

Hydee December 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I know this was forever ago but even after a c-section( i had one recently) you still cannot use tampons.

Demi July 31, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Your cervix will change as part of the process of labour, regardless of what type of birth you have. Even though vaginal birth didn’t occur, you would have still dilated (had you gone into labour and not had an emergency premature c-section) and over the course of the pregnancy, your vagina changes in preparation for passing a baby.

Marthalynn April 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This was so informative! I had no idea that there were so many brands from which to choose. It’s nice to know there are options, but it can also be a little overwhelming. Glad you broke it down for us!

Ani G W April 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for all the information! I had no idea there were so many possibilities!

Amanda April 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm

These tables were really useful when I decided to buy my first one. I got the right size, but there are more details, such as curves, that make the cup fit better or worse and the only way to find out is to try them.

CuteKaty P May 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm

How about MeLuna cups they ship to the US!
I think meluna size S is the smallest cup on earth (15ml cappacity), which is great for teenage girls.

Amanda May 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

I’ll check out their website, thank you!

Jessi May 9, 2012 at 6:11 am

I really want to try this out, but I don’t know how about going to do this. I don’t have a clue what size I would need. I remember once my doctor telling me I had a tilted uterus and a narrow cervix, but that was several years ago. I’ve had two children and I my flows start out SUPER SCARY HEAVY (like, I have to wear a jumbo tampon and an over night pad if I just want to function for an hour)….granted, it gets better by day two or three were I can just get away with wearing a tampon then. Also, what is the time frame on these? Can you sleep in them? I am a tampon wearer (except for that first day or so like I mentioned), but I wear pads at night because I am terrified of TSS. Also, how hard are they to remove? I have trouble just removing tampons sometimes and I am scared to try the “birth control cups” because I don’t know if I would able to remove it! What do you think? How do I go about figuring out which brand or which size.

Amanda @ The Eco-Friendly Family May 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I also have a tilted uterus, and I use the cup just fine. I know several women that use cups with a heavy flow, they simply need to empty them more often on the first day or so of their period.

With a heavier flow, I would likely choose the larger size cup of any brand you’re interested in, since it would hold more, hopefully making your first day or two easier.

All of the women I know wear their cup overnight. I empty my cup 2-3 times per day, total. It’s quite convenient and safe.

Kayla April 23, 2015 at 10:26 am

Lunette made a great informative video that goes over removal, tss and comparison to pads and tampons.

Jude Skocki Kelly May 12, 2012 at 5:07 am

Thank you so much for this article and guide. I have been wanting to try these and with the price I was apprehensive without knowing which size would work for me.

Jessi May 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thank you so much! I think I have decided on the Diva Cup and will be ordering it (and a few washable pads) on Monday. I feel like a hypocrite using cloth of my baby and still using “paper and plastic” on myself!

Moem July 2, 2012 at 4:49 am

Fleurcup ships their cups to the US.

It’s a lovely brand, very well made, and suitable for users who have a low cervix.

Rebecca September 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I’ve used the Diva Cup for several years. Two years ago I moved up to the larger size. I always have trouble with leaks – have a super heavy flow – and have to empty every 3 hours or so. Do you recommend a different brand??

Natalie March 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm

compare your Diva to other cups here: http://sizecharts.livejournal.com/ you’ll see that the large Diva holds about 25mls to the airholes. The Large Fleurcup, Large Si-Bell, Large Yuuki and XL Meluna hold about 30mls to the airholes, and 35-42mls to the rim. a cup like one mentioned above that has a ’round bottomed’ shape can hold more than one with a ‘pointy v’ bottomed shape like the Diva, Lunette or Mooncup. :)

Victoria October 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’m looking into getting another cup. I’ve used the Diva (model 1) for years but I can get the Lunette through my pharmacy so I’m leaning towards model 2 of that. Can you give me any information on how to know if the circumfrence would be too big? It’s only a 3mm difference in diameter. Would it only be a problem on insertion and then I wouldn’t feel it anyhow?
Thank you!

murphy February 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm

What keeps the blood from leaking back into the uterus , through the cervix? I am imaging that when I would lay down it could leak backwards and I don’t imagine that would be a good thing. I always though the cervix was somewhat open to allow the blood to leave the uterus/ So what keeps it from going back up into the uterus?. I never saw anyone ask that question and somehow I have the wrong picture in my mind especially if someone was diving, or tilted upside down like a gymnast. thanks for answer.

Amanda February 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I see what you’re saying but I think of the cervix is more like a valve. The uterus has cramps and contractions that help move the fluid down and out through the cervix. To go back up would require force.

This is a totally crazy analogy but my kids have these silicone squeeze food containers that sort of work for this illustration. I fill up the container (uterus) with food, put the lid with valve on (cervix) and when I squeeze (cramps/uterine contractions) the food will come out, but it’s nearly impossible for food to go in through the valve without serious help from outside forces.

Shalora November 30, 2014 at 5:34 pm

If you think about it, it would really be no different than wearing a pad overnight or while upside down or anything like that. Nothing to stop the blood from flowing up the vagina instead of down and into the pad – and yet that’s never caused problems. The cervix is pretty darned good at its job, and it is quite closed during your period.

Meggin D February 22, 2013 at 12:53 am

I’ve been using a Diva Cup size 2, (I’m 37 years old and have had 2 kids. My youngest is 1 1/2 years old) on and off for the past 4 years. I’m 5feet 1 inch tall and about 110lbs.
At first I found it worked really well, but since having my second child it slips and leaks and is in general a pain in the vag. Literally! I know my insertion hasn’t changed (and I went back and re-read the instructions), and I’ve done some trouble shooting. I’ve stopped using it for the past couple of months, just because it’s so frustrating!!
My question is: Do I need a shorter cup? A narrower cup?
Thanks!

Natalie March 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Any cup is going to ‘slip’ if your muscles aren’t what they were pre-children etc. I would suggest getting some ben wa kegel balls and wearing them around the house while you do the washing up etc and gradually increase how long you keep them in for over a couple of months. you should see some changes after 12 weeks of using them, but you need to combine kegels with squats too as all the muslces work together.

I would also have a look to see where your cervix is on your period (it tends to move down then and you want the cup to be right underneath it to prevent leaks) as it’s possible your cervix is lower down than it used to be, so flipping your Diva inside out to temporarily shorten it or getting a cup with a shorter body could work. or your cervix could be more to one side than before and you just need to aim the cup underneath it more.

I hope this helps! :)

Amanda April 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

You may want to try a different size cup. While most cups fit similarly, in my opinion, the slight differences can make a difference if you are experiencing slipping, leaking, poking (from a cup too long), etc.

Anonymous December 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I’ve read that sometimes flipping them inside out following birth can work wonders.

Rebecca November 9, 2014 at 10:50 am

You might want to try a cup with a larger diameter. That would help your muscles keep it in place better because they don’t have to squeeze so much. I found that a shorter cup with a larger diameter was better for me postpartum because my cervix is much lower and muscles weaker. I am doing levels and squats, but it takes time to see results from that.

Rebecca November 9, 2014 at 10:51 am

Kegels, not levels lol!

Amanda H December 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks for the info!

Lesley April 24, 2014 at 9:37 pm

This was an interesting post – Thank you for all of the information provided. I studied it forever before deciding on the Luna cup size 2… I would say that I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some days, I get it in perfectly and I never know it’s in there, and other times, I feel it ALL day long and it leaks. I still always wear a liner when I have the cup in, and I would like to feel comfortable enough to not need one at all. I’ve tried inserting it several different ways/times, but I’m guessing from reading the comments that maybe I just need to try a different brand/size, turn it inside out or something. I’m hesitant to spend more money on another brand or size and have it not work at all. I made some pads from your patterns – I may just stick to those!! :)

Amy D. April 25, 2014 at 8:59 am

Your charts with the lengths and diameters are very helpful! I have only tried the Diva, but I can use this info to try some other brands that might be an even better fit. Thanks!

elancee May 31, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Though most cup companies ship to the USA (I’ve gotten Fleur, Femmecup and MeLuna directly from their respective sites) I want to recommend femininewear.co.uk – Teresa Francis is knowledgeable and so helpful. She stocks MANY brands of cups and has comparison pictures as well as other reusable period options and accessories.

Megan July 19, 2014 at 12:19 am

What about the Lily cup and how do you suggest cleaning it and are there some things to watch out for, any safety issues?

Megan July 19, 2014 at 12:19 am

Oh! And are these made of same or different materials and does that matter?

Karen October 15, 2014 at 8:26 pm

First, thanks to Amanda and all of the contributors. This information is very helpful.

Here is my problem: I have used my size 2 Diva cup for one night and one day now. And both times that I attempted removal, it was a frustrating struggle that caused a cold sweat and a lot of anxiety. I tried implementing the tips on the Diva FAQ (ie push cup down with pelvic muscles and squeeze base to release suction), but this did not help. I just could not get my index finger and thumb gripping the stem enough to pull it out. I am fairly sure that insertion was done correctly. The second time, I made sure it was not inserted too far, but it seemed to insert further as the day wore on. I have had some problems using a diaphragm, so perhaps this is not the right option for me. Here are my questions:

(1) Is there something obvious that I am doing incorrectly?
(2) It’s still a day or two until I am supposed to start my period, but I am spotting. Is it possible that removal is easier once my period has fully begun?
(3) Is there a brand that is known to be easier to remove? I looked for a longer device but can see that that Diva is the longest listed.

Any advice is much appreciated as I am eager to give up tampons. Aside from the removal, the cup is far more comfortable than any tampon I have tried.

Karen October 19, 2014 at 10:06 am

I think I have mastered it, or at least figured out how to get it out. Thanks agin for the great post!

Rebecca November 4, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I can’t tell you how many times I looked at this chart when deciding what to get. Awesome resource! I’m amazed at how many brands there are, and it seems like there’s a new cup on the market all the time! Ruby Cup is another great one that I considered, with great company ethics. They donate a cup for every cup purchased to a school girl in Africa so that she doesn’t have to miss or drop out because of her period.

jenna d November 6, 2014 at 9:56 am

this is an awesome resource for cup newbies! Thanks!

MoonFire December 9, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I tried a version from the store, they were disposable, years ago. They were round and flat. One thing I noticed was it seemed to make urination more difficult. When I removed it, it seemed easier to ‘pee’. I worried about causing a UTI. any thoughts ? I’m excited to try one of these newer types. I’m over tampons. And trying to move into a healthier means of maintaining my moon :). Thanks!

Amelie December 29, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Thank you for all this informations, this is really helpfull, you should review on each one.

Anonymous December 30, 2014 at 12:30 pm

This chart would be so much easier and more helpful if you didn’t have ads covering the right side.

Emily G January 7, 2015 at 9:20 am

I have a Diva Cup size 2 that I’ve used, but switched back to tampons because it was uncomfortable for me. It seemed to be putting too much pressure on the vaginal wall. I am 33 and have had one child via c-section. Have you ever heard of anyone using the size meant for younger women even though they “fit” the size 2 parameters? I don’t want to spend the money on a new cup just to find out that it won’t work. Thanks!

Karen January 25, 2015 at 8:42 am

All other things being equal, I went with the Ruby Cup because of their efforts to help girls in undeveloped areas cope with their periods. Menstruation is inconvenient for most of us, but when you don’t have access to sanitary toilets, or the means to purchase expensive disposable products, it can be debilitating. Ruby Cup works with agencies like Femme, Red Cross, and SIDA to distribute cups to girls and educate them about menstrual health and hygiene. They have a “Buy One, Give One” policy: for every cup sold, they donate one to a girl in Kenya. The cup itself is great! So easy to use, much cleaner and tidier than I ever imagined. I thought it would be a mess to remove and empty, but it’s not at all. In fact, I find it much less messy than using tampons. I wish I had started using a cup years ago!

Karen January 25, 2015 at 8:44 am

I should add that I’ve had 3 children, and the one-size-fits-all Ruby Cup suits me just fine. Perfect seal, no leakage whatsoever (even at night!).

Carolina January 25, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Hi i wonder if that happens to everyone.
I’m thinking of switching to cups over pads and tampons, but I’m afraid it will slid out my vagina.
Sometimes when I’m wearing tampons and I go toilets, depends on how much I push it comes out… I’m 36, 2 natural births. Doesn’t mean my cervix muscles are not strong enough to hold the cup in place?

Amanda Hearn February 1, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Cups fit differently than tampons in some ways. The rim helps hold it into place against the vaginal walls. That doesn’t mean that it can’t be pushed down, but if you have a cup that fits it shouldn’t come out entirely on its own. I’d suggest looking at a cup with a larger circumference if that’s a concern.

Carolina January 25, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Hey Karen
I just checked out the Ruby cup website and order one cup!
I now realise they don’t have a choice of sizes… Bummer!
But I thought was very touching the way they are sending a free cup to Kenya!
Hope that cup fits me well and the girls who is getting it too!

Starr January 31, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I have had 2 csections im 30yrs old. I have no clue
Where to start with this chart other than look at one for 30/after childbirth. But i’ve never had vaginally births. What is recommended?

Amanda Hearn February 1, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Generally brands recommended their larger size if you are over 30 (or) have had a vaginal birth (because as we age our pelvic floor can become weaker). It’s not a rule, but a general guideline. If you’re unsure, you might consider going with a brand that meets your needs (or preference) on length and capacity and has a smaller difference in circumference so that it will be less of a factor.

Please feel free to email me if you’d like more personal help choosing and don’t want to post here.

Hannah February 2, 2015 at 5:50 pm

I am super new to menstrual cups and have a Lunette model 1. I am young, have a low cervix, am pre children, and have a light flow because of my BC. I can feel the Lunette! It feels like a balloon in me and seems to put pressure on my bladder. Does this mean my body just isn’t suited to cups? Or can anyone suggest a potentially better fit? I am really keen to have menstrual cups work for me and be comfortable.

Janice February 8, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Hello, I just tried the Diva cup too. It works great when I’m sitting or lying down and I’ve had no leaks. However, it slips when I’m standing, walking. I tried inverting it, and that does help (it’s not sticking out) but it still drops a bit and I feel pressure. Is there another brand you would recommend or perhaps something else I’m doing wrong?

Janice February 8, 2015 at 9:48 pm

*Diva cup 2

Amanda Hearn March 13, 2015 at 1:13 pm

You might try a slightly wider cup and that may help. Before investing in a new cup, you might try kegals and squats to strengthen your pelvic floor to see if that helps. (Says the woman who never remembers to do them.)

aleisha February 15, 2015 at 12:30 am

Thank You!

Kelly March 3, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Hi,
I am a 30 yr old w/no children and a tilted uterus. I have been wearing the diva cup 1 for years. I love it, but because I also have a copper IUD and a very heavy flow for a few days things can get messy. At times I have woken up twice in a night to empty my overflowing cup! I wear a pad for safety.
On my lighter days things are mostly fine. On my heavier days I feel like it will leak even when the cup isn’t nearly full. I was thinking my tilted cervix may be to blame and or the string from my IUD may be causing me issues. Do you think I may be better if with a bigger/wider cup?
Thank you!

Amanda Hearn March 13, 2015 at 1:17 pm

You might try the next size up, it’s slightly wider and that may help with a better ‘seal’.

Taraya G. March 19, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Hello all, Amanda, thanks so much for this helpful information. Your chart and insight has really convinced me to invest in my first feminine cup. I have been interested for a while but am just recently hearing more feedback from women that are satisfied with the products. Like someone else mentioned, I have no idea where to start with brand and size? I am 35 with a 1yr old by vaginal birth. I have recently increased my water intake to mo less than a half gallon a day & my menstrual cycle has drastically changed. No cramps and a much lighter flow and no odor at all. Any suggestions on where to start? I was thinking of the Ruby cup bc it’s one size & they donate to a great cause…

Amanda Hearn March 19, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Thank you so much, and that’s awesome about your cycle. I can’t speak to the Ruby cup, since I haven’t tried it yet, but I am very happy with the Juju cup and Diva. I think I use them most right now, but preference will vary for different women. If you choose a sized cup, I would get one geared towards women who have given birth.

Shawna March 30, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I am 26 and have had 1 natural childbirth. I am very petite, 5’5 and 100 lbs. I am considering the Lily Cup Original but not sure if I should go with size A or B. Based on my age and size I would choose the A but since I have given birth they would recommend the B. What is it about giving birth that would make me need a larger cup? My vagina is just as tight if not tighter than it was before giving birth.

Kayla April 23, 2015 at 11:20 pm

How can you tell how low your cervix needs to be to be considered a low cervix? Does that make sense? Is there a chart somewhere that can specify?

Amanda Hearn April 25, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Hi Kayla,

There’s not really a chart, but you can easily find out feeling for the position during your cycle – and specifically during your period (because the position moves throughout the month). If it’s hard to reach (or you can’t reach it at all) your cervix is high and you may want a longer cup. If you have a cervix that is easy to reach but not extremely low, you may be just fine with most lengths. If your cervix sits just inside of your vagina (you barely have to reach to touch it) you have a low cervix and will want to choose a shorter cup.

I hope that helps!

vicky May 4, 2015 at 1:29 am

Fleur cup from France is my favorite. Lunette my second. I ordered it online just fine and it came by mail.

Alex May 17, 2015 at 6:16 am

Hi! Great post. I use a moon cup size A (I am 38 and 2 kids). Unfortunately it often leaks a bit and the moon cup always end up very high which make it tricky to remove. I also have a tilted vagina and not very strong muscles I believe! Would you recommend another cup that might troubleshoot the issue? Many Thanks

Hannah May 18, 2015 at 12:43 pm

i’ve used the lunette cup model 1 and the me luna classic small (with easy removal ring). with both of these cups they seem not to be able to open fully and then slip up so far before they make a seal, that it’s nearly impossible for me to remove. i’ve considered getting a smaller cup so it can open fully, but am afraid it will slip too far to reach at all, but a larger cup i can barely get in there and then it won’t open. i feel like I’m either built wrong for using a cup or i must be doing something wrong. it seems like i have a narrow yet long vaginal canal. any suggestions?

Amanda Hearn May 25, 2015 at 11:45 pm

You might try the Lily Cup (original, not compact). The smaller size is a slender cup, but longer. The silicone is also silky soft.

Christina King May 28, 2015 at 7:54 am

Thank you for providing this information. I bought my Diva cup last November. I love that it has changed my life literally but I find it a little long and irritated me some. This chart has helped me select my next cup. Again thank you!

Danielle G July 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Hi! This is a great resource! I’m new to cups and I have a Lunette 2 and have to change it every 2-3 hours (very heavy flow). I’m looking for something with a higher capacity to give me a bit longer window but that’s not super super wide. I saw the Yuuki 2, Ruby Cup 2 and Ladycup but didn’t see any of them in the pictures in your chart. Do none of them ship to the USA or am I just missing them? Do you have any experience with any of them? Thanks!!

Amanda Hearn July 12, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Thank you so much :D I hope to add more cups to my visual chart, but I am generally only able to add them as they are provided to me. I would love to order them all, but that would be quite an investment! I do update this any time I get a new cup, so definitely check back for that.

As for a larger capacity cup – if you find that your cup is completely full, you do probably want to look for a cup with a higher capacity if you’re hoping to empty less often. If you are getting leakage without an entirely full cup, you might want to just try flipping yours inside out to see if it makes a difference – or try another brand that has a differently shaped cup.

Kristin July 11, 2015 at 10:18 am

Hello! I really want to make these work! I tried Diva cup and the handle that hangs down was *really* uncomfortable, poking me! Which ones do you recommend for folks like me? I might try Softcup, but I really want something that is truly re-usable, and I don’t necessarily want something going all the way up to my cervix.

Thanks!

Amanda Hearn July 11, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Have you tried trimming, or even entirely removing, the stem? I’m not a fan of stems and generally cut them all of the way off. I’d give that a try and see if you find it more comfortable. If after cutting, you still aren’t in love, try flipping it inside out too.

Kristin July 20, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Thanks! I give that a try. I also ordered a Femmycup with just a ring. We’ll see how that goes…

KK July 11, 2015 at 11:02 am

Omg whos would ever use one of these!! So gross!!

Amanda Hearn July 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm

They are truly much better than you might imagine. When I was younger, I didn’t even want to buy my own tampons, let along talk about menstrual products. Ever.

You can read more about why and how I changed my mind here, if you are interested:

The bottom line, for me, is that these are much healthier and *so* much more convenient! I find that they work better and I don’t have to deal with any of the things that I did with tampons.

Cat July 18, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Hey! First, thanks for this useful and complete review! The pictures really helps! I have a question for you girls: First time I tried the ”petite” diva cup size. It was a nightmare, it stucked really high inside my vagina, it was kind of stucked into the flesh. After several minutes trying to get it off, I finally trowed it into the trashcan. What kind of cup should I try? I find it a little bit difficult to put on tampons, I think I got really strong pelvic muscles or something. Thanks! (sorry for my bad english, it’s not my first language!!)

Amanda Hearn July 18, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Diva is one of the longer cups, but there are certainly others that are longer because of their stems. The Lunette’s tail is longer, as is the MCUK, the new LENA Cup, and the Lily Cup — just to name a few.

If the cup is ever up high, the best thing to do is try to relax and/or get into a more relaxed position. Squatting or propping one leg up could help too. You can use the stem to gently pull the cup down to where you can more easily reach it. Then use your finger to push in the side of the cup just enough to release the suction, and you can pull it out the rest of the way.

It can take a little time to get use to it. I’d encourage giving it a few cycles to be a pro. It’s worth it, and once you’ve got the hang of it and are comfortable and confident with it, you’ll be glad not to have to deal with tampons.

Your English is great btw :) I hope this helps!

rachel cartucci July 25, 2015 at 10:40 am

wow,you made this huge chart which answers my question under your video…sort of. I have fibroids and clot very badly…I have been fearful of trying some of these and having very bad leaks.

Ashley July 26, 2015 at 2:53 am

I’d love to see comparisons for softness. The diva was way to long, big, and firm for me-same with the Lunette. I was finally diagnosed with a cystocele so I think that is why I have had excruciating pain using any cups for the 6 years I have tried them (with the few years of with two more kiddos). Hoping that the Meluna will work for me but I had to buy one from Europe because they don’t sell soft ones in the U.S. I debated the Femmycycle one too though.

renee July 26, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I have been using my diva cup 2 for a little over a year and love it! My 10 yr old daughter is showing signs of starting her period soon and I dont want her using tampons or chemically laden pads. Im not sure she would be ready to deal with keeping up with reusable/washable pads while at school either. Is it advisable to have a young girl use them or should we just start with “all natural” disposable pads when the time comes?

Sarah - The Vagina Monologues July 29, 2015 at 3:55 am

It depends on how mature she is and if she’s interested. Young girls can use them for sure, though it’s easy to keep up with pads- you just slip them in a wetbag.

Amanda Hearn July 29, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I’ve known girls that used cloth pads without problems (the make great wet bags that are small enough to tuck in a purse), but organic disposable pads are a safe option as well and may be easier to handle at school. I don’t personally know anyone with a young girl that has used a cup, but I have read comments from women who do. I would talk with her and see what she’s comfortable with. If you need to go the disposable route in the beginning, there are some great brands available now.

Jenny Mae July 26, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I have tried the soft cup and then became pregnant with my first child…trails are on hold! I did notice a lot of leaking. Does this improve with the rubber/ silicone styles?

Sarah July 29, 2015 at 3:47 am

The softcup leakes a lot when going to the bathroom. Yes the silicone cups have a completely diferent shape and don’t do that.

Amanda Hearn July 29, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I found that it did make a world of difference. I think that the Softcup is great for women who love it, but I’m a fan of the silicone style of cup.

Jane July 26, 2015 at 7:13 pm

http://keeper.com/ isn’t on your list

Amanda Hearn July 29, 2015 at 9:33 pm

The Keeper is on the chart, but I haven’t added it to the visual guide – yet! I’ll definitely work on that. Thanks!

Alexandra July 27, 2015 at 10:58 pm

I have no idea which size or brand to get. I am 21 years old and a virgin, i havent even had a gyno check up yet. I have tried the soft cup before and it just seemed to big for me. Any suggestions for the brand and size?

Sarah - The Vagina Monologues July 29, 2015 at 3:54 am

If you want a very small cup the meluna makes a very small one, but very little capacity. I think a good beginner cup is the lunnete 1 though, but keep in mind what’s said above in the blog post.

Amanda Hearn July 29, 2015 at 9:30 pm

So far, the ones that I’ve love the smaller versions of the most are the Juju Cup, LENA Cup, and Lunette. I think any one of them would make a great first cup for a younger woman. Good luck!

Sarah July 29, 2015 at 3:45 am

Awesome post! I am writing a blog post about how to choose a cup as well and will be linking here. The photos are awesome. Thanks! :)

Sarah July 29, 2015 at 3:46 am

Lin July 29, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I have been searching for days for an answer to this and I was wondering if you’d mind recommending a cup solely on the stem. I came across your blog from Pinterest. I recently got a Keeper Moon Cup (highly recommended from a friend who loves loves it). I wore it for a cycle and it was fine except for the stem was not comfortable at all. The edge of it poked and rubbed and caused whatever skin it was touching to become very sensitive. My husband cut it twice for me and even filled the edges. After the second cut, it felt a little better but still was not pleasant to the point I had to take it out to sleep at night because it really bothered me and I couldn’t fall asleep. I do need at least a little something to grab onto as the cup was to high to just grab the base (with what little stem was left after cutting I had to grab the tip with my fingernails to pull it down a tad) My flow can be medium to heavy for the first two days then every day it gets lighter. I’m in my early 30′s no childbirth (yet ;) ) Also, by the end of my period my vaginal opening hurt from taking it out. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thank you and God Bless you!

Amanda Hearn July 29, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Hi Lin, The new LENA cup (made in the US) has a stem that is surprisingly comfortable. I always cut my stems off, but I left this one on for the full cycle to give it a real chance. It’s soft, flexible, and most of the time I didn’t even know it was there. If you aren’t comfortable with removing the stem entirely, I think that the LENA is a great choice.

Lin July 31, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Thank you for answering me so quickly. I’ve been doing some research since I haven’t heard of the LENA. If you don’t mind, I do have a few questions. Before I asked, I was considering a Me Luna with a ring or ball stem so I’m curious why you recommended the LENA. From your recommendation and the reviews I’ve seen, I’m pretty much sold on it, but I just want to make sure. Also, do you know how the firmness of the LENA is compared to the Keeper Moon Cup, as this hurt when I took it out because of the stiff rem, but maybe there’s an easier way to take it out that I’m not familiar with since I’m very new to the Menstrual Cup World. Thank you again!