What Menstrual Cup Is Right For You?

This page is best viewed in ‘desktop mode’ because of the tables & photo comparison tools. If you are on mobile, you can easily toggle to desktop view at the bottom of this page (click here).

With my recent posts on cups, I have seen the same questions many times – one of which is “What cup should I buy?”  You want to know that you are buying the right cup for you, and to be honest, it’s not a perfect science – but you can make an educated guess.  Chances are, you’ll love your cup!

When I was first considering a cup, I chose based on the only cup that I had heard of – The Diva Cup.  I was very pleased with my cup and it worked great for me.  I have since tried several other cups (including Lunette, MCUK, & Sckoon) and all but one cup worked perfectly for me.  When choosing your cup, keep in mind that they are all relatively similar, so there is no need to over analyze and stress out over the choices. Choose your cups with the tips below in mind and chances are you’ll love your cup.

Consider the diameter you need and the length you want and go from there.

Most manufacturers suggest that women under 30, who have never had a vaginal birth, should wear the smaller size they offer, while women over 30, or who have had a vaginal birth, should wear the larger size. This is a general rule – all women are different. For example, if you are over 30 and have children you may still have a strong pelvic floor if you’re active and you may feel more comfortable in a smaller cup. Know your body and make a decision based on that alongside the manufacturer’s suggestions.

If you know how high or low your cervix sits during menstruation, that may also play a role in the cup you choose.  You can determine where your cervix sits by inserting a finger to find it. If it’s hard to reach (or you can’t reach it at all) your cervix is high and you’ll likely want a longer cup (like the Diva Cup, Lily Cup, or XL Me Luna). If you have a cervix that is easy to reach but not extremely low, you may be just fine with most lengths – though you may find that you prefer to trim or remove the stem from some (or all) cups. If your cervix sits just inside of your vagina (an inch or so inside) you have a low cervix and will want to choose a shorter cup (like the MeLuna Shorty).

I find that a shorter cup is my preference, but I also know many women that prefer a longer cup either for a higher cervix or because they can be easier to reach. Something else to consider is the stem.  For me, the stem isn’t an issue since I cut them off, but your preferences may be different, so keep that in mind too.

Another thing to consider is flow.  Many women think that they have a super flow, but in reality the average woman has a moderate flow with studies showing a range from 30-120 ml (or 2-8 tablespoons) for their entire period.  I personally know women who have a “heavy flow” and love their cup – so if that’s your flow, a cup can work for you!  I suggest choosing a cup with a higher capacity, though like many women you may find that a cup lightens your flow.

Last but not least is cup firmness. Generally speaking, larger cups are a bit more firm than their counterparts. A firm cup will pop open easier. If you have a very sensitive bladder, you may want to look for a softer cup.

Menstrual Cup Comparison ChartThe table below is a size comparison for several brands of cups, the first set are brands that I have personally used (testing does not equal endorsement).  The cups below are all made from silicone, with the exception of the Keeper (Rubber) and Me Luna cups (TPE). These cups range in price from about $20 – $40 – and they are well worth it!

Menstrual Cup Comparison Chart

Brand Size Length Diameter Capacity Stem Sizing / Misc Features
Diva Cup 1 2.25″ 1.69″ 30 ml .38″ Hollow Round <30
Diva Cup 2 2.25″ 1.81″ 30 ml .38″ Hollow Round >30 or After Childbirth
JuJu Cup* 1 1.81″ 1.57″ 20 ml .75″ Solid Thin Before Childbirth
JuJu Cup* 2 1.97″ 1.81″ 30 ml .75″ Solid Thin After Childbirth
Lily Cup* A 3.07″ 1.57″ 25 ml Length includes stem <30
Lily Cup* B 3.07″ 1.7″ 28 ml Length includes stem >30 or After Childbirth
Lily Cup Compact* A 2.28″ 1.65″ 20 ml Length includes stem <30
Lily Cup Compact* B 2.28″ 1.77″ 25 ml Length includes stem >30 or After Childbirth
Lunette 1 1.9″ 1.6″ 25 ml 1″ Solid Flat Younger or Light Flow
Lunette 2 2″ 1.8″ 30 ml .8″ Solid Flat Normal-Heavy Flow
MCUK (Mooncup UK) A 1.97″ 1.81″ 30 ml .83″ Hollow Round >30 or After Childbirth
MCUK (Mooncup UK) B 1.97″ 1.69″ 30 ml .83″ Hollow Round <30
Sckoon Cup 1 1.77″ 1.57″ 23 ml 1″ Thin Soft Taper Before Childbirth
Sckoon Cup 2 1.97″ 1.77″ 30 ml .81″ Thin Soft Taper After Childbirth

These cups in the table above have been reviewed by me, or are currently being reviewed (marked by a *).

Brand Size Length Diameter Capacity Stem Sizing / Misc Features
EvaCup Small 1.97″ 1.65″ 25 ml .47″ Solid Round Before Childbirth
EvaCup Large 2.24″ 1.77″ 30 ml .47″ Solid Round After Childbirth
Femmecup One Size 1.97″ 1.77″ 30 ml .59″ Solid Round (18ml Capacity to Holes)
FemmyCycle Petite 1.5″ 1.22″ 17.5 ml .75″ Ring Before Childbirth
FemmyCycle Regular 1.69″ 1.42″ 30 ml .79″ Ring After Childbirth
FemmyCycle Low Cervix 1.69″ 1.42″ 30 ml .28″ Ring Low Cervix
Keeper A 2.13″ 1.81″ 21 ml 1″ After Childbirth / Rubber
Keeper B 2.05″ 1.73″ 25 ml 1″ Before Childbirth / Rubber
Keeper Moon Cup A 2.13″ 1.81″ 21 ml 1″ After Childbirth
Keeper Moon Cup B 2.05″ 1.73″ 25 ml 1″ Before Childbirth
LadyCup Small 1.81″ 1.57″ 21 ml .75″ Hollow Round <25
LadyCup Large 2.09″ 1.81″ 34 ml .51″ Hollow Round >25 or After Childbirth
MeLuna S 1.77″ 1.5″ 15 ml .47″ Stem, .31″ Ball, or .39″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna M 1.89″ 1.61″ 20 ml .51″ Stem, .35″ Ball, or .47″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna L 2″ 1.73″ 24 ml .59″ Stem, .43″ Ball, or .59″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna XL 2.2″ 1.85″ 30 ml .59″ Stem, .35″ Ball, or .51″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty S 1.38″ 1.5″ 8 ml .47″ Stem, .28″ Ball, or .39″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty M 1.5″ 1.61″ 10 ml .51″ Stem, .28″ Ball, or .39″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty L 1.61″ 1.73″ 14 ml .55″ Stem, .28″ Ball, or .43″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
MeLuna Shorty XL 1.73″ 1.85″ 16 ml .59″ Stem, .31″ Ball, or .43″ Ring Classic, Soft or Sport firmness
Ruby Cup S 1.81″ 1.57″ 24 ml .67″ Stem Light Periods
Ruby Cup M 2″ 1.77″ 34 ml .75″ Stem Heavy Periods
Shecup One Size 2.13″ 1.73″ 28 ml .22″ Knob
Yuuki 1 1.93″ 1.61″ 25 ml .71″ Hollow Round Before Childbirth
Yuuki 2 2.2″ 1.81″ 37 ml .71″ Hollow Round >28 or After Childbirth

These cups in the table above have not been reviewed by me.

Cup Comparison Tools

Slide each image to easily compare cups. I’ll be adding to this as I receive new cups, so be sure to check back, and feel free to suggest a cup.

Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide
Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide

Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide
Menstrual Cup Comparison Guide

Don’t see the brand you were looking for?  If I was unable to find a store that shipped to the US, the cup was omitted from this list.  If you know of a shop, I would be happy to add it to this list.  Please leave a comment or email me.

Interested in having your cup featured here? Please feel free to email me.

Menstrual cup size chart and comparison tool. Slide each image to easily compare cup shapes, sizes, and features.

Menstrual cup size chart and comparison tool. Slide image to easily compare cup shapes, sizes, and features.

Tabatha April 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This is very useful in determining which brand to go with. Sometimes with so many options out there it can be really confusing! =)

Amy Hartman April 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Would a cup work well for after child birth? I’m due in October and considering this instead of those huge ‘mommy Pampers’ pads they gave me for my son… (I’ll probably be having a repeat c section, so I don’t have to worry about vaginal healing or anything)

Amanda April 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm

It is not recommended by any of the manufacturers, and I wouldn’t use one for lochia. Perhaps after a some weeks when the bleeding slows, but I would ask your physician or midwife before doing that.

I hated the awful pads too, even the store bought ones. They chaffed and were very uncomfortable. You might consider cloth. You could even DIY. This pattern is super easy to use and is a great way to use up scrap fabrics.

Tabatha July 18, 2012 at 6:35 am

You also can’t use tampons after birth until your 6 week check up so cups would be the same. Nothing is supposed to go up there until then because your cervix doesn’t close immediately after delivery, and you are opening yourself up to infections if you use things. Not to mention, ouch!! I could not imagine putting anything inside for a while after birth. I’m going with some type of postpartum cloth. I’ve heard they are super comfy. I really don’t know about a c-section though, you would think that your cervix and all that would still be sensitive for a few weeks, I’m not really sure though. I would ask your doctor

Hydee December 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I know this was forever ago but even after a c-section( i had one recently) you still cannot use tampons.

Demi July 31, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Your cervix will change as part of the process of labour, regardless of what type of birth you have. Even though vaginal birth didn’t occur, you would have still dilated (had you gone into labour and not had an emergency premature c-section) and over the course of the pregnancy, your vagina changes in preparation for passing a baby.

Marthalynn April 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This was so informative! I had no idea that there were so many brands from which to choose. It’s nice to know there are options, but it can also be a little overwhelming. Glad you broke it down for us!

Ani G W April 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for all the information! I had no idea there were so many possibilities!

Amanda April 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm

These tables were really useful when I decided to buy my first one. I got the right size, but there are more details, such as curves, that make the cup fit better or worse and the only way to find out is to try them.

CuteKaty P May 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm

How about MeLuna cups they ship to the US!
I think meluna size S is the smallest cup on earth (15ml cappacity), which is great for teenage girls.

Amanda May 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

I’ll check out their website, thank you!

Jessi May 9, 2012 at 6:11 am

I really want to try this out, but I don’t know how about going to do this. I don’t have a clue what size I would need. I remember once my doctor telling me I had a tilted uterus and a narrow cervix, but that was several years ago. I’ve had two children and I my flows start out SUPER SCARY HEAVY (like, I have to wear a jumbo tampon and an over night pad if I just want to function for an hour)….granted, it gets better by day two or three were I can just get away with wearing a tampon then. Also, what is the time frame on these? Can you sleep in them? I am a tampon wearer (except for that first day or so like I mentioned), but I wear pads at night because I am terrified of TSS. Also, how hard are they to remove? I have trouble just removing tampons sometimes and I am scared to try the “birth control cups” because I don’t know if I would able to remove it! What do you think? How do I go about figuring out which brand or which size.

Amanda @ The Eco-Friendly Family May 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I also have a tilted uterus, and I use the cup just fine. I know several women that use cups with a heavy flow, they simply need to empty them more often on the first day or so of their period.

With a heavier flow, I would likely choose the larger size cup of any brand you’re interested in, since it would hold more, hopefully making your first day or two easier.

All of the women I know wear their cup overnight. I empty my cup 2-3 times per day, total. It’s quite convenient and safe.

Kayla April 23, 2015 at 10:26 am

Lunette made a great informative video that goes over removal, tss and comparison to pads and tampons.

Jude Skocki Kelly May 12, 2012 at 5:07 am

Thank you so much for this article and guide. I have been wanting to try these and with the price I was apprehensive without knowing which size would work for me.

Jessi May 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thank you so much! I think I have decided on the Diva Cup and will be ordering it (and a few washable pads) on Monday. I feel like a hypocrite using cloth of my baby and still using “paper and plastic” on myself!

Moem July 2, 2012 at 4:49 am

Fleurcup ships their cups to the US.

It’s a lovely brand, very well made, and suitable for users who have a low cervix.

Rebecca September 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I’ve used the Diva Cup for several years. Two years ago I moved up to the larger size. I always have trouble with leaks – have a super heavy flow – and have to empty every 3 hours or so. Do you recommend a different brand??

Natalie March 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm

compare your Diva to other cups here: http://sizecharts.livejournal.com/ you’ll see that the large Diva holds about 25mls to the airholes. The Large Fleurcup, Large Si-Bell, Large Yuuki and XL Meluna hold about 30mls to the airholes, and 35-42mls to the rim. a cup like one mentioned above that has a ’round bottomed’ shape can hold more than one with a ‘pointy v’ bottomed shape like the Diva, Lunette or Mooncup. :)

Victoria October 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’m looking into getting another cup. I’ve used the Diva (model 1) for years but I can get the Lunette through my pharmacy so I’m leaning towards model 2 of that. Can you give me any information on how to know if the circumfrence would be too big? It’s only a 3mm difference in diameter. Would it only be a problem on insertion and then I wouldn’t feel it anyhow?
Thank you!

murphy February 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm

What keeps the blood from leaking back into the uterus , through the cervix? I am imaging that when I would lay down it could leak backwards and I don’t imagine that would be a good thing. I always though the cervix was somewhat open to allow the blood to leave the uterus/ So what keeps it from going back up into the uterus?. I never saw anyone ask that question and somehow I have the wrong picture in my mind especially if someone was diving, or tilted upside down like a gymnast. thanks for answer.

Amanda February 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I see what you’re saying but I think of the cervix is more like a valve. The uterus has cramps and contractions that help move the fluid down and out through the cervix. To go back up would require force.

This is a totally crazy analogy but my kids have these silicone squeeze food containers that sort of work for this illustration. I fill up the container (uterus) with food, put the lid with valve on (cervix) and when I squeeze (cramps/uterine contractions) the food will come out, but it’s nearly impossible for food to go in through the valve without serious help from outside forces.

Shalora November 30, 2014 at 5:34 pm

If you think about it, it would really be no different than wearing a pad overnight or while upside down or anything like that. Nothing to stop the blood from flowing up the vagina instead of down and into the pad – and yet that’s never caused problems. The cervix is pretty darned good at its job, and it is quite closed during your period.

Meggin D February 22, 2013 at 12:53 am

I’ve been using a Diva Cup size 2, (I’m 37 years old and have had 2 kids. My youngest is 1 1/2 years old) on and off for the past 4 years. I’m 5feet 1 inch tall and about 110lbs.
At first I found it worked really well, but since having my second child it slips and leaks and is in general a pain in the vag. Literally! I know my insertion hasn’t changed (and I went back and re-read the instructions), and I’ve done some trouble shooting. I’ve stopped using it for the past couple of months, just because it’s so frustrating!!
My question is: Do I need a shorter cup? A narrower cup?
Thanks!

Natalie March 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Any cup is going to ‘slip’ if your muscles aren’t what they were pre-children etc. I would suggest getting some ben wa kegel balls and wearing them around the house while you do the washing up etc and gradually increase how long you keep them in for over a couple of months. you should see some changes after 12 weeks of using them, but you need to combine kegels with squats too as all the muslces work together.

I would also have a look to see where your cervix is on your period (it tends to move down then and you want the cup to be right underneath it to prevent leaks) as it’s possible your cervix is lower down than it used to be, so flipping your Diva inside out to temporarily shorten it or getting a cup with a shorter body could work. or your cervix could be more to one side than before and you just need to aim the cup underneath it more.

I hope this helps! :)

Amanda April 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

You may want to try a different size cup. While most cups fit similarly, in my opinion, the slight differences can make a difference if you are experiencing slipping, leaking, poking (from a cup too long), etc.

Anonymous December 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I’ve read that sometimes flipping them inside out following birth can work wonders.

Rebecca November 9, 2014 at 10:50 am

You might want to try a cup with a larger diameter. That would help your muscles keep it in place better because they don’t have to squeeze so much. I found that a shorter cup with a larger diameter was better for me postpartum because my cervix is much lower and muscles weaker. I am doing levels and squats, but it takes time to see results from that.

Rebecca November 9, 2014 at 10:51 am

Kegels, not levels lol!

Amanda H December 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks for the info!

Lesley April 24, 2014 at 9:37 pm

This was an interesting post – Thank you for all of the information provided. I studied it forever before deciding on the Luna cup size 2… I would say that I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some days, I get it in perfectly and I never know it’s in there, and other times, I feel it ALL day long and it leaks. I still always wear a liner when I have the cup in, and I would like to feel comfortable enough to not need one at all. I’ve tried inserting it several different ways/times, but I’m guessing from reading the comments that maybe I just need to try a different brand/size, turn it inside out or something. I’m hesitant to spend more money on another brand or size and have it not work at all. I made some pads from your patterns – I may just stick to those!! :)

Amy D. April 25, 2014 at 8:59 am

Your charts with the lengths and diameters are very helpful! I have only tried the Diva, but I can use this info to try some other brands that might be an even better fit. Thanks!

elancee May 31, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Though most cup companies ship to the USA (I’ve gotten Fleur, Femmecup and MeLuna directly from their respective sites) I want to recommend femininewear.co.uk – Teresa Francis is knowledgeable and so helpful. She stocks MANY brands of cups and has comparison pictures as well as other reusable period options and accessories.

Megan July 19, 2014 at 12:19 am

What about the Lily cup and how do you suggest cleaning it and are there some things to watch out for, any safety issues?

Megan July 19, 2014 at 12:19 am

Oh! And are these made of same or different materials and does that matter?

Karen October 15, 2014 at 8:26 pm

First, thanks to Amanda and all of the contributors. This information is very helpful.

Here is my problem: I have used my size 2 Diva cup for one night and one day now. And both times that I attempted removal, it was a frustrating struggle that caused a cold sweat and a lot of anxiety. I tried implementing the tips on the Diva FAQ (ie push cup down with pelvic muscles and squeeze base to release suction), but this did not help. I just could not get my index finger and thumb gripping the stem enough to pull it out. I am fairly sure that insertion was done correctly. The second time, I made sure it was not inserted too far, but it seemed to insert further as the day wore on. I have had some problems using a diaphragm, so perhaps this is not the right option for me. Here are my questions:

(1) Is there something obvious that I am doing incorrectly?
(2) It’s still a day or two until I am supposed to start my period, but I am spotting. Is it possible that removal is easier once my period has fully begun?
(3) Is there a brand that is known to be easier to remove? I looked for a longer device but can see that that Diva is the longest listed.

Any advice is much appreciated as I am eager to give up tampons. Aside from the removal, the cup is far more comfortable than any tampon I have tried.

Karen October 19, 2014 at 10:06 am

I think I have mastered it, or at least figured out how to get it out. Thanks agin for the great post!

Rebecca November 4, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I can’t tell you how many times I looked at this chart when deciding what to get. Awesome resource! I’m amazed at how many brands there are, and it seems like there’s a new cup on the market all the time! Ruby Cup is another great one that I considered, with great company ethics. They donate a cup for every cup purchased to a school girl in Africa so that she doesn’t have to miss or drop out because of her period.

jenna d November 6, 2014 at 9:56 am

this is an awesome resource for cup newbies! Thanks!

MoonFire December 9, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I tried a version from the store, they were disposable, years ago. They were round and flat. One thing I noticed was it seemed to make urination more difficult. When I removed it, it seemed easier to ‘pee’. I worried about causing a UTI. any thoughts ? I’m excited to try one of these newer types. I’m over tampons. And trying to move into a healthier means of maintaining my moon :). Thanks!

Amelie December 29, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Thank you for all this informations, this is really helpfull, you should review on each one.

Anonymous December 30, 2014 at 12:30 pm

This chart would be so much easier and more helpful if you didn’t have ads covering the right side.

Emily G January 7, 2015 at 9:20 am

I have a Diva Cup size 2 that I’ve used, but switched back to tampons because it was uncomfortable for me. It seemed to be putting too much pressure on the vaginal wall. I am 33 and have had one child via c-section. Have you ever heard of anyone using the size meant for younger women even though they “fit” the size 2 parameters? I don’t want to spend the money on a new cup just to find out that it won’t work. Thanks!

Karen January 25, 2015 at 8:42 am

All other things being equal, I went with the Ruby Cup because of their efforts to help girls in undeveloped areas cope with their periods. Menstruation is inconvenient for most of us, but when you don’t have access to sanitary toilets, or the means to purchase expensive disposable products, it can be debilitating. Ruby Cup works with agencies like Femme, Red Cross, and SIDA to distribute cups to girls and educate them about menstrual health and hygiene. They have a “Buy One, Give One” policy: for every cup sold, they donate one to a girl in Kenya. The cup itself is great! So easy to use, much cleaner and tidier than I ever imagined. I thought it would be a mess to remove and empty, but it’s not at all. In fact, I find it much less messy than using tampons. I wish I had started using a cup years ago!

Karen January 25, 2015 at 8:44 am

I should add that I’ve had 3 children, and the one-size-fits-all Ruby Cup suits me just fine. Perfect seal, no leakage whatsoever (even at night!).

Carolina January 25, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Hi i wonder if that happens to everyone.
I’m thinking of switching to cups over pads and tampons, but I’m afraid it will slid out my vagina.
Sometimes when I’m wearing tampons and I go toilets, depends on how much I push it comes out… I’m 36, 2 natural births. Doesn’t mean my cervix muscles are not strong enough to hold the cup in place?

Amanda Hearn February 1, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Cups fit differently than tampons in some ways. The rim helps hold it into place against the vaginal walls. That doesn’t mean that it can’t be pushed down, but if you have a cup that fits it shouldn’t come out entirely on its own. I’d suggest looking at a cup with a larger circumference if that’s a concern.

Carolina January 25, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Hey Karen
I just checked out the Ruby cup website and order one cup!
I now realise they don’t have a choice of sizes… Bummer!
But I thought was very touching the way they are sending a free cup to Kenya!
Hope that cup fits me well and the girls who is getting it too!

Starr January 31, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I have had 2 csections im 30yrs old. I have no clue
Where to start with this chart other than look at one for 30/after childbirth. But i’ve never had vaginally births. What is recommended?

Amanda Hearn February 1, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Generally brands recommended their larger size if you are over 30 (or) have had a vaginal birth (because as we age our pelvic floor can become weaker). It’s not a rule, but a general guideline. If you’re unsure, you might consider going with a brand that meets your needs (or preference) on length and capacity and has a smaller difference in circumference so that it will be less of a factor.

Please feel free to email me if you’d like more personal help choosing and don’t want to post here.

Hannah February 2, 2015 at 5:50 pm

I am super new to menstrual cups and have a Lunette model 1. I am young, have a low cervix, am pre children, and have a light flow because of my BC. I can feel the Lunette! It feels like a balloon in me and seems to put pressure on my bladder. Does this mean my body just isn’t suited to cups? Or can anyone suggest a potentially better fit? I am really keen to have menstrual cups work for me and be comfortable.

Janice February 8, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Hello, I just tried the Diva cup too. It works great when I’m sitting or lying down and I’ve had no leaks. However, it slips when I’m standing, walking. I tried inverting it, and that does help (it’s not sticking out) but it still drops a bit and I feel pressure. Is there another brand you would recommend or perhaps something else I’m doing wrong?

Janice February 8, 2015 at 9:48 pm

*Diva cup 2

Amanda Hearn March 13, 2015 at 1:13 pm

You might try a slightly wider cup and that may help. Before investing in a new cup, you might try kegals and squats to strengthen your pelvic floor to see if that helps. (Says the woman who never remembers to do them.)

aleisha February 15, 2015 at 12:30 am

Thank You!

Kelly March 3, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Hi,
I am a 30 yr old w/no children and a tilted uterus. I have been wearing the diva cup 1 for years. I love it, but because I also have a copper IUD and a very heavy flow for a few days things can get messy. At times I have woken up twice in a night to empty my overflowing cup! I wear a pad for safety.
On my lighter days things are mostly fine. On my heavier days I feel like it will leak even when the cup isn’t nearly full. I was thinking my tilted cervix may be to blame and or the string from my IUD may be causing me issues. Do you think I may be better if with a bigger/wider cup?
Thank you!

Amanda Hearn March 13, 2015 at 1:17 pm

You might try the next size up, it’s slightly wider and that may help with a better ‘seal’.

Taraya G. March 19, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Hello all, Amanda, thanks so much for this helpful information. Your chart and insight has really convinced me to invest in my first feminine cup. I have been interested for a while but am just recently hearing more feedback from women that are satisfied with the products. Like someone else mentioned, I have no idea where to start with brand and size? I am 35 with a 1yr old by vaginal birth. I have recently increased my water intake to mo less than a half gallon a day & my menstrual cycle has drastically changed. No cramps and a much lighter flow and no odor at all. Any suggestions on where to start? I was thinking of the Ruby cup bc it’s one size & they donate to a great cause…

Amanda Hearn March 19, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Thank you so much, and that’s awesome about your cycle. I can’t speak to the Ruby cup, since I haven’t tried it yet, but I am very happy with the Juju cup and Diva. I think I use them most right now, but preference will vary for different women. If you choose a sized cup, I would get one geared towards women who have given birth.

Shawna March 30, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I am 26 and have had 1 natural childbirth. I am very petite, 5’5 and 100 lbs. I am considering the Lily Cup Original but not sure if I should go with size A or B. Based on my age and size I would choose the A but since I have given birth they would recommend the B. What is it about giving birth that would make me need a larger cup? My vagina is just as tight if not tighter than it was before giving birth.

Kayla April 23, 2015 at 11:20 pm

How can you tell how low your cervix needs to be to be considered a low cervix? Does that make sense? Is there a chart somewhere that can specify?

Amanda Hearn April 25, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Hi Kayla,

There’s not really a chart, but you can easily find out feeling for the position during your cycle – and specifically during your period (because the position moves throughout the month). If it’s hard to reach (or you can’t reach it at all) your cervix is high and you may want a longer cup. If you have a cervix that is easy to reach but not extremely low, you may be just fine with most lengths. If your cervix sits just inside of your vagina (you barely have to reach to touch it) you have a low cervix and will want to choose a shorter cup.

I hope that helps!

vicky May 4, 2015 at 1:29 am

Fleur cup from France is my favorite. Lunette my second. I ordered it online just fine and it came by mail.

Alex May 17, 2015 at 6:16 am

Hi! Great post. I use a moon cup size A (I am 38 and 2 kids). Unfortunately it often leaks a bit and the moon cup always end up very high which make it tricky to remove. I also have a tilted vagina and not very strong muscles I believe! Would you recommend another cup that might troubleshoot the issue? Many Thanks

Hannah May 18, 2015 at 12:43 pm

i’ve used the lunette cup model 1 and the me luna classic small (with easy removal ring). with both of these cups they seem not to be able to open fully and then slip up so far before they make a seal, that it’s nearly impossible for me to remove. i’ve considered getting a smaller cup so it can open fully, but am afraid it will slip too far to reach at all, but a larger cup i can barely get in there and then it won’t open. i feel like I’m either built wrong for using a cup or i must be doing something wrong. it seems like i have a narrow yet long vaginal canal. any suggestions?

Amanda Hearn May 25, 2015 at 11:45 pm

You might try the Lily Cup (original, not compact). The smaller size is a slender cup, but longer. The silicone is also silky soft.