What Menstrual Cup Is Right For You?

With my recent posts on cups, I have seen the same questions many times – one of which is “What cup should I buy?”  You want to know that you are buying the right cup for you, and to be honest, it’s not a perfect science – but you can make an educated guess.  Chances are, you’ll love your cup!

When I was first considering a cup, I chose based on the only cup that I had heard of – The Diva Cup.  I was very pleased with my cup and it worked great for me.  I have since tried three other cups (from Lunette, MCUK, & Sckoon) and all but one cup worked perfectly for me.  When choosing your cup, keep in mind that they are all relatively similar, so there is no need to over analyze. Choose your cups with the tips below in mind and chances are you’ll love your cup.

Consider the diameter you need and the length you want and buy from there.   If you know how your cervix sits (low or high), that might play a role in the cup you choose.  I find that a shorter cup is my preference, but I also know many women that prefer a longer cup either for a higher cervix or because they can be easier to reach.  Along these lines is the stem.  For me, the stem isn’t an issue since I cut them off anyhow, but for you it may be, so keep that in mind too.

Another thing to consider is flow.  Many women think that they have a super flow, but in reality the average woman has a moderate flow with studies showing a range from 30-120 ml (or 2-8 tablespoons).  I personally know women who have a “heavy flow” and love their cup – so if that’s your flow, a cup can work for you!  I suggest choosing a cup with a higher capacity, though like many women you may find that a cup lightens your flow.

Comparison ChartThe table below is a size comparison for several brands of cups, the first set are brands that I have personally used.  The cups below are all made from silicone, with the exception of the Keeper (which has been noted). These cups range in price from about $20 – $40 – and they are well worth it!

Brand Size Length Diameter Capacity Stem Sizing / Misc Features
Diva Cup 1 2.25″ 1.69″ 30 ml .38″ Hollow Round <30
Diva Cup 2 2.25″ 1.81″ 30 ml .38″ Hollow Round >30 or After Childbirth
Lunette 1 1.9″ 1.6″ 25 ml 1″ Solid Flat Younger or Light Flow
Lunette 2 2″ 1.8″ 30 ml .8″ Solid Flat Normal-Heavy Flow
MCUK (Mooncup UK) A 1.97″ 1.81″ 30 ml .83″ Hollow Round >30 or After Childbirth
MCUK (Mooncup UK) B 1.97″ 1.69″ 30 ml .83″ Hollow Round <30
Sckoon Cup 1 1.77″ 1.57″ 23 ml 1″ Thin Soft Taper Before Childbirth
Sckoon Cup 2 1.97″ 1.77″ 30 ml .81″ Thin Soft Taper After Childbirth

These cups in the table above have been reviewed by me.

Brand Size Length Diameter Capacity Stem Sizing / Misc Features
EvaCup Small 1.97″ 1.65″ 25 ml .47″ Solid Round Before Childbirth
EvaCup Large 2.24″ 1.77″ 30 ml .47″ Solid Round After Childbirth
JuJu Cup* 1 1.81″ 1.57″ 20 ml .75″ Solid Thin Before Childbirth
JuJu Cup* 2 1.97″ 1.81″ 30 ml .75″ Solid Thin After Childbirth
Femmecup One Size 1.97″ 1.77″ 30 ml .59″ Solid Round (18ml Capacity to Holes)
Keeper A 2.13″ 1.81″ 21 ml 1″ After Childbirth / Rubber
Keeper B 2.05″ 1.73″ 25 ml 1″ Before Childbirth / Rubber
Keeper Moon Cup A 2.13″ 1.81″ 21 ml 1″ After Childbirth
Keeper Moon Cup B 2.05″ 1.73″ 25 ml 1″ Before Childbirth
LadyCup Small 1.81″ 1.57″ 21 ml .75″ Hollow Round <25
LadyCup Large 2.09″ 1.81″ 34 ml .51″ Hollow Round >25 or After Childbirth
Lily Cup A 3.07″ 1.57″ 25 ml Length includes stem <30
Lily Cup B 3.07″ 1.7″ 28 ml Length includes stem >30 or After Childbirth
Lily Cup Compact A 2.28″ 1.65″ 20 ml Length includes stem <30
Lily Cup Compact B 2.28″ 1.77″ 25 ml Length includes stem >30 or After Childbirth
Shecup One Size 2.13″ 1.73″ 28 ml .22″ Knob
Yuuki 1 1.93″ 1.61″ 25 ml .71″ Hollow Round Before Childbirth
Yuuki 2 2.2″ 1.81″ 37 ml .71″ Hollow Round >28 or After Childbirth

These cups in the table above have not been reviewed by me, or are currently being reviewed (marked by a *).

Don’t see the brand you were looking for?  If I was unable to find a store that shipped to the US, the cup was omitted from this list.  If you know of a shop, I would be happy to add it to this list.  Please leave a comment or email me.

Tabatha April 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This is very useful in determining which brand to go with. Sometimes with so many options out there it can be really confusing! =)

Amy Hartman April 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Would a cup work well for after child birth? I’m due in October and considering this instead of those huge ‘mommy Pampers’ pads they gave me for my son… (I’ll probably be having a repeat c section, so I don’t have to worry about vaginal healing or anything)

Amanda April 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm

It is not recommended by any of the manufacturers, and I wouldn’t use one for lochia. Perhaps after a some weeks when the bleeding slows, but I would ask your physician or midwife before doing that.

I hated the awful pads too, even the store bought ones. They chaffed and were very uncomfortable. You might consider cloth. You could even DIY. This pattern is super easy to use and is a great way to use up scrap fabrics.

Tabatha July 18, 2012 at 6:35 am

You also can’t use tampons after birth until your 6 week check up so cups would be the same. Nothing is supposed to go up there until then because your cervix doesn’t close immediately after delivery, and you are opening yourself up to infections if you use things. Not to mention, ouch!! I could not imagine putting anything inside for a while after birth. I’m going with some type of postpartum cloth. I’ve heard they are super comfy. I really don’t know about a c-section though, you would think that your cervix and all that would still be sensitive for a few weeks, I’m not really sure though. I would ask your doctor

Hydee December 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I know this was forever ago but even after a c-section( i had one recently) you still cannot use tampons.

Demi July 31, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Your cervix will change as part of the process of labour, regardless of what type of birth you have. Even though vaginal birth didn’t occur, you would have still dilated (had you gone into labour and not had an emergency premature c-section) and over the course of the pregnancy, your vagina changes in preparation for passing a baby.

Marthalynn April 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This was so informative! I had no idea that there were so many brands from which to choose. It’s nice to know there are options, but it can also be a little overwhelming. Glad you broke it down for us!

Ani G W April 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for all the information! I had no idea there were so many possibilities!

Amanda April 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm

These tables were really useful when I decided to buy my first one. I got the right size, but there are more details, such as curves, that make the cup fit better or worse and the only way to find out is to try them.

CuteKaty P May 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm

How about MeLuna cups they ship to the US!
I think meluna size S is the smallest cup on earth (15ml cappacity), which is great for teenage girls.

Amanda May 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

I’ll check out their website, thank you!

Jessi May 9, 2012 at 6:11 am

I really want to try this out, but I don’t know how about going to do this. I don’t have a clue what size I would need. I remember once my doctor telling me I had a tilted uterus and a narrow cervix, but that was several years ago. I’ve had two children and I my flows start out SUPER SCARY HEAVY (like, I have to wear a jumbo tampon and an over night pad if I just want to function for an hour)….granted, it gets better by day two or three were I can just get away with wearing a tampon then. Also, what is the time frame on these? Can you sleep in them? I am a tampon wearer (except for that first day or so like I mentioned), but I wear pads at night because I am terrified of TSS. Also, how hard are they to remove? I have trouble just removing tampons sometimes and I am scared to try the “birth control cups” because I don’t know if I would able to remove it! What do you think? How do I go about figuring out which brand or which size.

Amanda @ The Eco-Friendly Family May 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I also have a tilted uterus, and I use the cup just fine. I know several women that use cups with a heavy flow, they simply need to empty them more often on the first day or so of their period.

With a heavier flow, I would likely choose the larger size cup of any brand you’re interested in, since it would hold more, hopefully making your first day or two easier.

All of the women I know wear their cup overnight. I empty my cup 2-3 times per day, total. It’s quite convenient and safe.

Jude Skocki Kelly May 12, 2012 at 5:07 am

Thank you so much for this article and guide. I have been wanting to try these and with the price I was apprehensive without knowing which size would work for me.

Jessi May 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thank you so much! I think I have decided on the Diva Cup and will be ordering it (and a few washable pads) on Monday. I feel like a hypocrite using cloth of my baby and still using “paper and plastic” on myself!

Moem July 2, 2012 at 4:49 am

Fleurcup ships their cups to the US.

It’s a lovely brand, very well made, and suitable for users who have a low cervix.

Rebecca September 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I’ve used the Diva Cup for several years. Two years ago I moved up to the larger size. I always have trouble with leaks – have a super heavy flow – and have to empty every 3 hours or so. Do you recommend a different brand??

Natalie March 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm

compare your Diva to other cups here: http://sizecharts.livejournal.com/ you’ll see that the large Diva holds about 25mls to the airholes. The Large Fleurcup, Large Si-Bell, Large Yuuki and XL Meluna hold about 30mls to the airholes, and 35-42mls to the rim. a cup like one mentioned above that has a ’round bottomed’ shape can hold more than one with a ‘pointy v’ bottomed shape like the Diva, Lunette or Mooncup. :)

Victoria October 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’m looking into getting another cup. I’ve used the Diva (model 1) for years but I can get the Lunette through my pharmacy so I’m leaning towards model 2 of that. Can you give me any information on how to know if the circumfrence would be too big? It’s only a 3mm difference in diameter. Would it only be a problem on insertion and then I wouldn’t feel it anyhow?
Thank you!

murphy February 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm

What keeps the blood from leaking back into the uterus , through the cervix? I am imaging that when I would lay down it could leak backwards and I don’t imagine that would be a good thing. I always though the cervix was somewhat open to allow the blood to leave the uterus/ So what keeps it from going back up into the uterus?. I never saw anyone ask that question and somehow I have the wrong picture in my mind especially if someone was diving, or tilted upside down like a gymnast. thanks for answer.

Amanda February 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I see what you’re saying but I think of the cervix is more like a valve. The uterus has cramps and contractions that help move the fluid down and out through the cervix. To go back up would require force.

This is a totally crazy analogy but my kids have these silicone squeeze food containers that sort of work for this illustration. I fill up the container (uterus) with food, put the lid with valve on (cervix) and when I squeeze (cramps/uterine contractions) the food will come out, but it’s nearly impossible for food to go in through the valve without serious help from outside forces.

Meggin D February 22, 2013 at 12:53 am

I’ve been using a Diva Cup size 2, (I’m 37 years old and have had 2 kids. My youngest is 1 1/2 years old) on and off for the past 4 years. I’m 5feet 1 inch tall and about 110lbs.
At first I found it worked really well, but since having my second child it slips and leaks and is in general a pain in the vag. Literally! I know my insertion hasn’t changed (and I went back and re-read the instructions), and I’ve done some trouble shooting. I’ve stopped using it for the past couple of months, just because it’s so frustrating!!
My question is: Do I need a shorter cup? A narrower cup?
Thanks!

Natalie March 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Any cup is going to ‘slip’ if your muscles aren’t what they were pre-children etc. I would suggest getting some ben wa kegel balls and wearing them around the house while you do the washing up etc and gradually increase how long you keep them in for over a couple of months. you should see some changes after 12 weeks of using them, but you need to combine kegels with squats too as all the muslces work together.

I would also have a look to see where your cervix is on your period (it tends to move down then and you want the cup to be right underneath it to prevent leaks) as it’s possible your cervix is lower down than it used to be, so flipping your Diva inside out to temporarily shorten it or getting a cup with a shorter body could work. or your cervix could be more to one side than before and you just need to aim the cup underneath it more.

I hope this helps! :)

Amanda April 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

You may want to try a different size cup. While most cups fit similarly, in my opinion, the slight differences can make a difference if you are experiencing slipping, leaking, poking (from a cup too long), etc.

Anonymous December 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I’ve read that sometimes flipping them inside out following birth can work wonders.

Amanda H December 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks for the info!

Lesley April 24, 2014 at 9:37 pm

This was an interesting post – Thank you for all of the information provided. I studied it forever before deciding on the Luna cup size 2… I would say that I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some days, I get it in perfectly and I never know it’s in there, and other times, I feel it ALL day long and it leaks. I still always wear a liner when I have the cup in, and I would like to feel comfortable enough to not need one at all. I’ve tried inserting it several different ways/times, but I’m guessing from reading the comments that maybe I just need to try a different brand/size, turn it inside out or something. I’m hesitant to spend more money on another brand or size and have it not work at all. I made some pads from your patterns – I may just stick to those!! :)

Amy D. April 25, 2014 at 8:59 am

Your charts with the lengths and diameters are very helpful! I have only tried the Diva, but I can use this info to try some other brands that might be an even better fit. Thanks!

elancee May 31, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Though most cup companies ship to the USA (I’ve gotten Fleur, Femmecup and MeLuna directly from their respective sites) I want to recommend femininewear.co.uk – Teresa Francis is knowledgeable and so helpful. She stocks MANY brands of cups and has comparison pictures as well as other reusable period options and accessories.

Megan July 19, 2014 at 12:19 am

What about the Lily cup and how do you suggest cleaning it and are there some things to watch out for, any safety issues?

Megan July 19, 2014 at 12:19 am

Oh! And are these made of same or different materials and does that matter?

Karen October 15, 2014 at 8:26 pm

First, thanks to Amanda and all of the contributors. This information is very helpful.

Here is my problem: I have used my size 2 Diva cup for one night and one day now. And both times that I attempted removal, it was a frustrating struggle that caused a cold sweat and a lot of anxiety. I tried implementing the tips on the Diva FAQ (ie push cup down with pelvic muscles and squeeze base to release suction), but this did not help. I just could not get my index finger and thumb gripping the stem enough to pull it out. I am fairly sure that insertion was done correctly. The second time, I made sure it was not inserted too far, but it seemed to insert further as the day wore on. I have had some problems using a diaphragm, so perhaps this is not the right option for me. Here are my questions:

(1) Is there something obvious that I am doing incorrectly?
(2) It’s still a day or two until I am supposed to start my period, but I am spotting. Is it possible that removal is easier once my period has fully begun?
(3) Is there a brand that is known to be easier to remove? I looked for a longer device but can see that that Diva is the longest listed.

Any advice is much appreciated as I am eager to give up tampons. Aside from the removal, the cup is far more comfortable than any tampon I have tried.

Karen October 19, 2014 at 10:06 am

I think I have mastered it, or at least figured out how to get it out. Thanks agin for the great post!