5 Tips for Choosing Safe Cleaning Products

We all know that we need to be using safe cleaners, unfortunately not everything on the store shelf is created equally. Many products contain corrosive, toxic chemicals that might “clean” well but they certainly don’t do much to protect the health of your family. These toxic chemicals can leave awful residues, especially harmful on food surfaces, and contribute to indoor air pollution – or worse.

Choosing safe products is so important but the waters can be hard to navigate at first. Here are some tips to choosing safe products with ease.

#1 Ingredients Matter

Start at the ingredient list. If the product you pick up doesn’t tell you what’s in it – stop . right . there . Send that company a message and do not purchase their product. Transparency is huge when looking for safe products in this day and age. While there may be safe products without a disclosed ingredient list, you have no way of knowing that the product you are about to use is safe. The absence of an ingredient list is a big red flag and it’s not worth the risk.

#2 Know What To Watch Out For

Though there are more toxins out there, this is a great place to start.

• Ammonia Toxic when inhaled, swallowed or touched. I remember my Mom using this stuff as a kid and man, it is seriously strong stuff, not to mention potentially deadly when mixed with the wrong stuff.
      • Antibacterials & Disinfectants These include a whole list of ingredients ranging from Bleach to Triclosan. The overuse of these types of products are blamed for antibiotic resistant bacteria, and the truth is that extreme disinfectants are rarely needed. Your DIY Household cleaners (even dish detergent), or a bit of soap and water should be most of what you’ll ever need. There are natural options, just read the labels!
      • Butyl Glycol, Ethylene Glycol, Monobutyl This is common in most general cleaners and is dangerous to the nervous system, liver & kidneys.
      • Chlorine Bleach Bleach is very obviously strong, corrosive and irritating to both the eyes and lungs. Avoid this stuff when at all possible – plus you’ll probably save some cash by not accidentally getting bleach spots on clothes and other household fabrics.
      • Petroleum Solvents Many ingredients are derived from petroleum and are commonly found in many cleaning products as surfactants (watch for this term on ingredient lists). Other derivitives, including formaldehyde, can be found in a variety of household cleaners.
      • Phosphates These are harmful to aquatic life and are often found in laundry & dish detergents.
      • Phthalates Watch for fragrance on ingredient lists. These hormone disruptive are often components of complex synthetic fragrances. Avoid artificial scents at all costs. They are toxic and this goes for everything from cleaners to shampoo to candles. Choose options that say “Phthalate Free” or mention the use of essential oils for fragrance.

#3 Outsmart Labeling Tricks

Just because the label says “Natural”, “Non-Toxic” or even “Eco-Friendly” doesn’t mean that it is. It can be a good place to start when you’re looking for products, but verify it! Look at the ingredients and judge for yourself.  If you aren’t sure how your favorite cleaners measure up, look them up on the EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning where they rate products by their health safety.

#4 Have a Love/Hate Relationship With Honesty

Products tell you right on the packaging if they are dangerous. This is good news, though you may have to look at several products before finding one you are satisfied when you first start out. Bottom line – listen to them and stay away! It’s so easy. Avoid products with terms like Caution, Corrosive, Danger, Irritant, Poison, or Warning.  Instead look for products that don’t say they’re toxic and suggest simply to “drink water”. That’s a good thing to see!

#5 Know Your Options

There are lot of great products for cleaning. Know them, use them, save money and you’ll be thankful for the decrease in toxic matter in your home!

• Baking Soda is great for cleaning so many things. From hard water to pet messes and smalls, baking soda is a hero. Combine it with a little water to scrub up just about anything to a nice shine.  Add to vinegar (carefully, it gets very fizzy!) or dish soap for super strength to clean tile, pots and pans, carpet, tubs, toilets and even stains on clothing!
      • Borax is a great laundry additive and can be use for household cleaning, though use great caution in a home with small children as ingestion is not safe. The powder form makes it a special concern around little ones.
      • Castile Soap is a gentle soap made from vegetable oil (often olive) as opposed to animal fat or synthetics.  This stuff is great for use in general cleaning, laundry, body wash, hand wash, shampoo, and I even know people who have used it in place of toothpaste!
      • Lemon Juice is great in cleaners, cutting grease and lightening stains – or hair!
      • Washing Soda is similar to baking soda but stronger.  It is a great laundry additive and can often be found in the laundry isle. If you’re having trouble locating it, try Amazon or Alice.
      • Vinegar is good for just about everything.  I have used both White Vinegar & Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in cleaning. I like white vinegar for mixed and general cleaning, but ACV is great for soaking toilets, showers, sinks and other tough water/mildew spots (oh and it’s also a fab hair conditioner). Mix up your own all-pupose and glass cleaners.  Add it to your laundry in the rinse cycle for a great fabric softener.  Even put it in your dishwasher’s rinse aid compartment. Vinegar is amazing!

Do you have any favorite non-toxic cleaning tips, tricks or products? I’d love to hear them!

Eco Friendly Guy July 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Great examples. I discovered on a flight that club soda will completely remove red wine from clothes :0)

Claire Clarke February 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Baking soda is the answer to everything!! We use it to clean many things in our house, and in baths for dry skin :) really does fix almost anything, and it is CHEAP!!

Jason February 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm

can of coke to clean the water stains in the toliet! Yup, just pour a can of soda in the toliet and let it sit for an hour or so then flush it. The carbonation process is what cleans it.

Cindy April 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

I use baking soda on my glass top stove to clean the marks off. Just put some on a cloth or right on the stove and rub. It doesn’t scratch and it cleans up great.

search engine optimization consultant April 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I visited several sites however the audio quality for audio songs current at this
web site is in fact marvelous.

Ulrich May 1, 2013 at 10:32 am

hello!,I really like your writing very a lot! share we keep in touch more about your post on AOL?

I require an expert in this house to resolve my problem.
Maybe that’s you! Taking a look forward to peer you.

Samantha Lippard May 8, 2013 at 7:07 am

I am going to start using safe cleaning products. Thank you for this information!

Heidi May 8, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am seriously so excited to have found this! I am bookmarking the page for frequent reference!

private krankenversicherung basistarif May 20, 2013 at 2:07 am

Hi there, I encountered your net log through Google whilst looking for for initially assistance and your place looks very intriguing for me.

Recommended Site June 6, 2013 at 6:51 pm

You’ve got the most effective internet websites.

a July 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm

This website is great

local movers phoenix July 25, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Use white vinegar for this, and TEST an area of the carpet before you try it.

Go out and buy a carpet cleaner and some carpet cleaning products today; you will not regret
this decision. Commercial carpet cleaner machines
used as upholstery cleaners are equipped with smaller 4-inch
wands to clean seat and sofa covers, chairs, and cushions.

cleaning products online August 24, 2013 at 10:24 am

We need to be aware if our household cleaning products have ingredients that can be harmful to our health, our kids and our pets…this post is a good guide in this regard.

natasha November 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I use a line of powerful and environmentally sensitive cleaning products . They take away dust , dirt , grease , grime , ect . without hurting people or the environment . One of the best things about this line is it works just as well as or better than most others . Whats crazy is this line of products has been around since 1959 , that’s 50 years of customer satisfaction and i just recently heard of it . When my friend told me about this line and how great it worked and safe it was especially compared to the brand my family has known , used , and stayed loyal to for years I was skeptical and lol even hesitant as an over protective green mom lol . So she offered a demonstration and OMG , I was quick to leave my old favorite brand behind after seeing how great this line was, especially after learning the price comparison per usage . Then to top it all off she informs me by using this line all also be saving myself even more time , money , while helping the environment by lowering gas pollution, because I would no longer have to make those pesky trips to the store . The products are delivered straight to your door , no shipping and handling ! So you can bet I was in and everything 100% satisfaction guarantee now that’s what I’am talking about ! Upon receiving my first order I learn I’am reducing my environmental footprint even more because even the packaging is recyclable (some of which are even reusable) as well as the process they use to make the products unlike many others .The products are never tested on animals shoot they even have a wild life habitat surrounding their facility . They also support hundreds of non profit organizations in over 50 countries working to address the full spectrum of children’s needs . since 2003 they have helped over 7 million children , contributed 1.3 million employee and distributor volunteer hours and donated more than 112 million ! you cant get any greener than that I have fallen in love with this product and it company I have joined them in there work to make the world a better and greener place . I’d like to invite you to learn more about this line of products , come one check it out and see for yourself! http://www.amway.com/NatashaOw

Cameron from We Live Here March 17, 2014 at 2:46 am

Thanks for the great cleaning tips! It is so important to choose natural cleaning options whenever possible, so much better for your health and the planet.

vinegar and baking soda drain cleaner April 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Additionally, any belts and hoses that have been worn out will be replaced.
Now in the style and design that is not having this the very hot
water will have to journey a ton of distance ahead of it reaches
you and consequently leading to the loss of energy. Therefore, we can say
that the home plumbers also take care of your commercial plumbing needs.

yelp.com.au April 18, 2014 at 7:16 am

Even if your online business doesn’t rely on e – Commerce (an advertising based business, for example),
security is still equally important. popularity, they study the objectives of your business and your target audience.
Thereby, make sure that you are going for only that
SEO Company Bhubaneswar that understands your needs particularly well.