Upcycled Laptop Desk & Food Tray!

I may not be the craftiest person ever, but when I saw this Melissa & Doug wooden tray just laying on the playroom floor I knew it needed to have a higher purpose. My first thought was “oooh, I could use that to serve my husband breakfast in bed” and then I reconsidered. I could be served breakfast in bed! As cool as that would be, the idea of putting work into it for a single purpose didn’t quite get me running to the craft cabinet, that’s when I realized it could also double as a sweet “desk” from which I could blog, work and watch my kids as they play in the living room.  Perfect!

When Calley of TheEcoChic.com came up with her July Upcycled Crafting Challenge, I knew that it was the perfect craft for her final day – The Wild Card item!

Here’s what I used:

• Melissa & Doug Tray (mine happened to come with a musical instrument set, but others have them too!)
  • Sand paper (to smooth edges and sand of the M&D logo)
  • Paint or Stain
  • Pillow to create a soft side for your new lap desk! – or (optional) DIY your own using an old wooden puzzle base, some fabric, stuffing and a staple gun! (as seen below)

Sand any rough spots and paint away! This project is so simple but can take a little time to allow the paint to dry between coatings. Feel free to end it off with a protective clear layer if you’re feeling super ambitious. I wasn’t, but I did anyhow.  Then sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I love my new desk and it didn’t cost me a penny to make it – and some items that were about to be discarded were put to good use! Be sure to visit TheEcoChic.com for more great upcycled ideas!

Amanda Hearn

Amanda Hearn

Founder of The Eco-Friendly Family, design geek, serial tanktopist, content creator, mother, coffee addict, & lover of fun. I am also a partner at Green Child Magazine & Put A Cup In It!
Amanda Hearn

Lindsey July 31, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Such a good idea!! I have the exact same wooden tray on top of my fridge just waiting to be useful. Going to make this now. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

lance rover August 1, 2012 at 6:03 am

wow….simply wow! never really occurred to me that some of our fellow world citizens could take care of our environment in such innovative yet simple manner! When i see things like this, i definitely become more respectful to the mother earth as i would never want to harm her. But what do common people like us know? We should rely more and more on those expert environmental consultant or environmental consultancy groups who are constantly trying to give us tips on how to build things and keep our environment safe and clean. For more information on how to preserve our environment in please visit http://www.seran.com.au and learn about our duties to protect our environment. The expert environmental consultants from Seran Pty Ltd is helping people in Melbourne to build large infrastructure projects by complying with all the environmental regulations for quite some time.

Adin Blankenship August 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Ahah! How clever. My husband needs one like this since he is using a laptop and it overheats for sure. It needs that space under for air to flow and stops it from overheating. How brilliant. I am looking for one. :) Thanks for sharing.

suki August 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

the bf uses his old macbook pro [he couldn’t sell it because there were so many probs with the keyboard and battery out of warranty] as a drink tray. :p

Energy Saving Switch August 27, 2012 at 2:53 am

It’s amazing what a little paint can do!

HDTV Wall Bracket January 19, 2016 at 4:41 am

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have take into accout your stuff previous to and
you’re simply extremely magnificent. I really like what you have obtained here, certainly like what you’re
saying and the way in which wherein you say it. You are making it enjoyable and
you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read far more from you.
This is really a tremendous site.

FocusNutra Intelligex Reviws January 21, 2016 at 8:20 am

Very rapidly this web site will be famous among all blogging users, due to it’s good content

Sex mit Kindern January 29, 2016 at 12:28 am

May I just say what a comfort to find an individual who truly knows
what they’re talking about on the web. You definitely
understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
More and more people ought to look at this and understand this
side of the story. I was surprised you aren’t more popular given that
you certainly possess the gift.

girls In paris January 29, 2016 at 10:35 am

Every single team was allowed three serves per inning, and there have been nine innings per game.

lingerie February 3, 2016 at 1:49 am

Ini sangat bebas masalah untuk mengetahui setiap peduli pada web dibandingkan dengan buku
teks, karena saya menemukan ini pasang di situs web .

nude audio speaker February 20, 2016 at 2:31 am

I was suggested this web site by means of my cousin. I am
not certain whether or not this post is written by way of him as no one else understand such designated about my trouble.
You’re wonderful! Thank you!

www.Videosdvdx.com March 7, 2016 at 4:42 am

Newsgroup Yaourtiere multi delices YG6528 : Participez au forum d’entraide
de SEB Yaourtiere multi delices YG6528.

hard disk esterno September 10, 2016 at 6:19 pm

What’s up, its pleasant paragraph about media print, we all understand media is a wonderful source of
information.

Crepiere September 11, 2016 at 4:25 pm

An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a friend who
was doing a little homework on this. And he actually bought me lunch simply because I stumbled upon it
for him… lol. So allow me to reword this….
Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to talk about this issue here on your website.