You may be wondering why, or how, a cookie can help with lactation. The ingredients in these cookies provide “good” calories, and ingredients like flax, oatmeal and nutritional yeast (or brewers yeast) provide valuable nutrients that help boost milk production. Additionally, whipping up a batch of these cookie bars is quick and easy and will provide mom with a nutritious snack that she can eat one-handed while taking care of baby. As a mom, I can attest to the fact that eating healthy can be hard to do with the constant business that comes with taking care of little ones.
This recipe is a tried, true and yummy concoction mixed up by a friend of mine from Rumble in The Kitchen. Many thanks to her for sharing her recipe with us!
Lactation Cookie Bars
These delicious bars are free from dairy, gluten, soy, egg & vegan friendly!
- 1 cup butter or coconut oil at room temp (coconut oil will make the cookies dairy free)
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 3 cups oat flour
- 2 cups rolled gluten free oats
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips (look for aa high cocoa percentage to keep the chips dairy & soy free)
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes (or Brewers Yeast – type will dictate if it is gluten free or not)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 9 x 13 pan
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix flax seed meal in the water and set aside for 3-5 minutes.
- Cream coconut oil (or butter) and sugar.
- Add flax seed mixture and nutritional yeast flakes. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add coconut and oat flour and mix well.
- Add baking soda, salt & rolled oats. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and mix well.
- If mixture seems dry add in a little more water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Spread evenly in a 9×13 pan and bake at 325 for 30-40m minutes.
- The edges should be golden brown and the middle should be set.
- Let cool (if you can resist the urge to cut into them right away) and cut into bars.
If you would like to find the original, non-allergen friendly version of this recipe you can find the Lactation Cookie Recipe on Rumble in the Kitchen, be sure to browse her site for other delicious recipes!