What Young Living membership option is right for you?

What Young Living membership option is right for you? — Imagine using and sharing a product you adore. If you are interested in essential oils, we can help you decide what type of membership will work for you. Spoiler alert: There are no fees!I’ve been using essential oils for some time now and I love them. As a result of my appreciation for these oils and desire to continue purchasing them, I recently signed up for big savings. I have been asked about oils, about Young Living and about buying & selling their products. If you are interested in oils, I hope that this article helps with the “which option” sign up part! The first thing you will likely ask yourself about signing up with Young Living is “How much will it cost me?” The answer is that it depends on what you want from your membership, but you are never under obligation to buy anything. However, there are perks when you do and if you want the benefits, you must meet purchase requirements (not membership fees)! Regardless of the method you use, the best way to purchase your oils is to sign up. You can’t get member only discounts and freebies any other way!

There are two main membership types:

Customer & Independent Distributor (though this one can really be broken into two).

• Customer (buy at retail pricing – no requirements, no fees)
  • Independent Distributor as Customer (buy at wholesale pricing – no fees, but there is a $50/year purchase requirement)
  • Independent Distributor as Business (buy at wholesale pricing – no fees, but there is a purchase requirement – read more bellow)

Below, I will break down the basics and how-to of each type.

This type of membership is completely free to join.

• No membership fees.
  • No yearly dues.
  • No obligation.
  • No selling.

What Young Living membership option is right for you? — Check out the new Young Living Premium Starter Kits! This type of membership allows you to easily order the oils and products that you need at retail pricing, plus tax & shipping–sort of like purchasing from your own private store.

What Young Living membership option is right for you? Learn the differences and check out the new Young Living Premium Starter Kits. They are an exceptional value!This membership does not get you wholesale pricing.

You can sign up here!

Independent Distributor as Customer ( Save 24% with Wholesale Pricing)

This type of membership is signed up as “Independent Distributor” and requires the purchase of a starter kit, which you can choose for yourself. They are great kits that range in price from $45 to $260. You only have to purchase a start up kit once, at sign up – and they are useful. Personally, I think that the Premium Starter Kit ($150) is a great value and idea, and not just because it’s at the top price tier. This kit comes with a diffuser (I love mine!) and includes eleven different bottles of oil to get you started, a roll-on attachment, 10 samples packets (to use or share!), 10 sample bottles (these are so handy), and materials to help you become familiar with oils and how to use them. If a diffuser isn’t something you’re interested in, or you already know what things you’d like to order, the Basic Starter Kit ($45) is a great way to get in, and then you can begin ordering the products you want at wholesale, right away.

• Save 24% off of retail pricing.
  • No membership fees.
  • No yearly dues.
  • No obligation.
  • No selling required.

If you wish to keep wholesale pricing, the only requirement is that you purchase about $50 worth of products per year (50 PV) – which is crazy easy to do. If you do not purchase 50 PV (their point system) worth of products in a year, you can still buy oils, it will just be at retail pricing until you meet their requirement.

You can sign up here!

You can find step-by-step help for the Young Living sign up process here.

If you’re interested in deeper savings, you can also sign up with Essential Rewards to save up to 44% off of retail. You must be signed up as a distributor to be able to enroll. More info here.

Independent Distributor as Business ( Save 24% with Wholesale Pricing )

This type of membership is with the intent of making an income! It is similar to the information above, with a few changes. If you love essential oils, chances are that you already share what you know with friends and family. By being a distributor, you can earn a commission when those people (and more!) buy oils from you, or sign up under you. Just like being a wholesale customer, you are required to purchase a starter kit, which range in price from $45 to $260 (depending on diffuser choice). You only have to purchase a start up kit once (same as above). If you wish to earn a commission check, you must also be enrolled in the “Essential Rewards” program. To be eligible for payment, your monthly Essential Rewards order should be at or over $100/month (100 PV)—which is surprisingly easy to do. (They also have monthly specials that can earn you free exclusives.) (Note: There are now some commissions that you are eligible for at the $50 level, but the $100 level opens you up to several bonuses, making it a much faster way to begin covering the cost of your ER orders.) In addition to making a commission and being eligible for payment, you also earn Essential Rewards points that can be redeemed for free products. These points are great for buying gifts, having stock on hand, or treating yourself to something special.

You can sign up here, and learn more about Essential Rewards here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly or comment below.

Mary December 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I love using lavender essential oil in my little one’s bath. Very relaxing! This looks interesting!

James Paulson January 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

My wife goes crazy for anything lavender-scented!

James Paulson December 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Looks interesting! I might have to check this one out!

Janet January 27, 2015 at 10:21 am

Iam involved with a company that has the highest standard of clinical grade Essential Oils that Dr. Daniel Penoel speaks of in his video. If you would like more information contact me by my email. thank you

janet spangler September 11, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I would like to become a distributor.

Rachel@greenwonder January 10, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Sounds like a good plan. We all need as bit of pampering every now and then

Katy July 29, 2015 at 12:13 am

What happens if I sign up as a distributor but don’t plan on purchasing monthly?

Amanda Hearn July 29, 2015 at 10:44 am

Hi Katy, to remain a distributor (to get the discounted prices) you are only required to spend $50 per calendar year. There are no fees, just a yearly purchase requirement to keep the status. I hope that helps!

LiLi July 29, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Hi, What if I just want to make a small purchase and don’t want the kit. Will you still get credit for the purchase and benefit. I don’t mind trying it but I don’t want to buy a kit.

Amanda Hearn July 29, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Hi LiLi, If you’d like to make purchases without buying a kit, you can easily do that by signing up as a customer (http://bit.ly/18IlYJW). This way doesn’t require a kit purchase, but it also won’t qualify you for the member discounts.

If you’d like the discount that comes with distributor status (24%), you have to purchase a kit (one time when you sign up). The kits that include oils and/or a diffuser, are a great value.

fred August 8, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Am i allowed to sell and dropship product from the main warehouse?

Amanda Hearn August 8, 2015 at 10:49 pm

You can easily place an order in the dashboard and have it shipped to the address you choose.

Melissa August 11, 2015 at 12:49 am

I’ve been thinking about joining under an old friend and I’m debating on which membership to join under. I’ve had friends get me into things in the past where it seemed great but then I was stuck having to buy every month and it was way too much. My understanding is that there are no obligations or fees at all to buy product as a member but for the independent distributer as a customer is ONLY $50/year and from what I read there’s no punishment for not doing that other than not getting the discounts until you reach $50 which after looking at prices seems easy to do. So basically I’m wondering, is it the smartest choice to sign up as an independent distributor as a customer so that I receive those benefits? I’m not looking to start a business and quite possibly be unable to sell this to anyone around my area so it would just be the perks of discounts I’m looking at. Thought? I’d love some help deciding!

Amanda Hearn August 11, 2015 at 12:57 pm

You are correct. Signing up as an independent distributor will get you access to the discount. The only requirement is that you purchase a kit (one time – any kit that comes with a diffuser is a great savings) and spend at least $50 per year to maintain the discount.

There is an optional program (Essential Rewards) that will earn you points that can be used for free oils, that has a $50/mo minimum, but that’s entirely optional. I use it because it makes sense for me.

Betsy September 3, 2015 at 11:41 pm

If you enroll in Essential Rewards can you opt out at any time with no penalty? I would like to try it but do not want to be stuck if it is not working out. Thank you for this post! Very helpful!

Amanda Hearn September 4, 2015 at 10:31 am

Hi Betsy, yes you can opt out at any time without any sort of penalty. The only thing to remember is that if you have points earned, you’ll want to use them before cancelling or they will go away when you cancel.

They also give you a once per year grace — so if you like the program but just can’t afford it one month or really don’t need anything you can call and put it on hold for one month without any penalty. I tend to stock up on oils I use a lot on months where I don’t need much – lavender, lemon, Thieves, etc. That’s what has worked best for me.

I hope this helps :)

Ivy September 5, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I am very much wanting to start a business with yl although I have not done this as of yet. I am wondering the benefits of being under someone or not. It would be nice to be with a group of people to learn from, how do you choose? There are so many. How do you even begin to sell the oils? Also I see when you sign up you need a tax I’d number, I don’t have one. Would you put your sis in there instead?

Amanda Hearn September 5, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hi Ivy,

One of the best benefits of signing up under someone is that you have a support system built in (though this can obviously vary person-to-pers0n). Your upline should be available to help answer questions and help you build your team. We offer a Facebook group for our team as well, which is a great way to connect and get support.

I think everyone has a different story when it comes to selling and sharing oils. A friend introduced me to YL and after using them for about a year I knew that I wanted to be more involved than just an end-user. I like to offer information, experience, and help where wanted and that’s how I share YL. In our team we have an herbalist, enthusiasts, and more. They each have their own story that lends to the way they connect and share YL. If you ever have questions, please feel free to reach out. I can answer better when tackling specific aspects.

I used my ssn when signing up, no tax ID. I hope that helps!