If you’ve been around here long you’ve heard me talk about Healthy Child Healthy World. They are a fantastic organization that works to create safe and healthy environments for children. In April, I won 4th place in Marcal Small Step’s Small Steps for Big Change Environmental Awards. I was given the chance to choose an environmental charity to donate $500 to in my name. I chose Healthy Child because of he changes that they are helping to make that benefit all of us, and the youth to come.
Healthy Child has a wonderful list of 5 Easy Steps to help you create a healthy home environment. They were inspired by the contest and asked me to write a post for them about my own five steps. They are a great organization and I feel very blessed to have this platform to share more. I think that much of the thanks goes to all of you as well, for coming here, reading my blog, interacting with my posts and inspiring me to learn more and reach out to further to share it.
It was hard to pick just five steps, there are so many! You can read my full article here.
Some additional tips:
6. Avoid chemical cleaners.
Thankfully there are some great companies out there making safe cleaners, but you can save yourself a load of cash (and time searching for products) by using homemade cleaners.
- Use vinegar and water for a basic all purpose cleaner (equal parts). Want an extra boost? Add a drop of dish soap the the bottle and some tea tree oil for extra disinfecting properties.
- If you’d like to skip residues all together try the Activeion Ionator HOM, I adore mine!
- Skip all of the junk in traditional laundry detergents by making your own. Try our recipe, you can make this even more gently by using a castile bar soap, or none at all if you choose.
- If you want to buy cleaners and detergents choose safe products like those from Seventh Generation, Earth Friendly Products, Eco-Me, etc.
- Skip fabric softerers and choose a safe option like dryer balls or vinegar.
- Read more about composting, plus a printable PDF list of what to put in your compost bin.
- There are loads of great toys available these days from companies like Plan Toys, Haba, Green Toys and even store brands from companies like Toys R Us.
- Some of my favorite shops are Moolka.com, Oompa.com, and of course Amazon.com (search for “eco-friend toys” or “green toys”)