Breakfast has never been my strong suit. I’m happy to make it but somehow, after a cup of coffee, I’m just never really in the mood for it in the mornings. While, I’m not all that old… yet… something about having children makes me think a bit more about taking care of myself — and the least I can do is try to start my day with something more substantial than a cup of coffee.
I’ve always been a fan of oatmeal, but traditional packets (even organic brands) are often loaded with sugar, which is not really something I consider to be a good start to my day. I’ve also tried making overnight oats, which I do enjoy, but having to prepare meals ahead is also a shortcoming of mine. When I had the chance to try Pacific Foods ready to eat steel-cut oats I was pretty excited. Pacific is a brand that I am familiar with, purchase, and trust.
Their steel-cut oatmeal is certified organic and comes in unsweatened, lightly sweetened, Maple & Brown Sugar, Apple & Cinnamon, and my favorite — Flax & Chia Power. Steel-cut oats are a recent favorite of mine. They add a little extra texture to oatmeal, which some may find quite welcome. (Rolled and instant oats are sometimes a bit too mushy for my tastes.)
Each flavor contains at least 3 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, and 25 grams of whole grains (though some contain more!). Not only are they ready to eat in about two minutes, but they are low in sugar. I can enjoy the oatmeal as-is, or spruce them up with a handful of fruit and a sprinkling of nuts or seeds.
If you’ve been on Instagram or Pinterest, you’ve likely seen smoothie bowls, which are so beautiful. I love eating pretty foods but I’ve yet to hop on the smoothie craze, so… in lieu of that, I’ve started to beatify the foods I love to eat.
I make lunch each day for my kids, so I’m always chopping up fruits in the morning. With these oatmeal bowls I can easily set a little aside for myself, get them kids the bus, and then toss it my oatmeal bowl together. It’s no time at all, but it certainly brings a bit of light to my day and helps me not crash and burn because I skipped feeding myself.
I hope that you enjoy this ridiculously simple recipe as much as I do – though, to be honest, it’s so easy that I’m not sure it even qualifies as a recipe, but I do hope that it encourages you to treat yourself a bit. We deserve it!
- 8 oz Steel Cut Oatmeal (cooked) (I used Pacific's Ready-to-Eat Steel-Cut Oatmeal in Flax & Chia Power)
- Splash of Organic Milk (Almond, Hemp, Dairy, etc. - Optional)
- 2 Strawberries (sliced)
- 1 tbs Sliced Almonds
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds
- Heat precooked oats for 1-2 minutes and stir in a splash of milk to get the consistency you prefer and then create a bit of art.
- You can pile the toppings on or take your time to create something that brings you joy.
- I used strawberries, chia, and almond slices in my bowl, but you can get creative with any number of ingredients. I love to use a little drizzle of maple syrup with blueberries and pumpkin seeds too, but there are so many fun combinations.