Use any of the following substances in an open bowl or jar to help absorb odors:
- Baking soda (get creative with mini mason jars by poking holes and designs in their lids!)
- Kitty litter (try a natural and unscented brand)
- White Vinegar
- White bread in your refrigerator (2-3 slices)
Try some of the following ideas:
- Simmer leftover citrus rinds for in a pot of water.
- Make your own gel air freshener using essential oils (recipe below!)
- Simmer cinnamon sticks, cloves, or any other scented spice in a pot of water until scent permeates your living space.
- Burn a candle. Soy candles are a wonderful alternative to traditional candles, but choose candles that are scented naturally to avoid hormone disrupting phthalates.
- Place a small amount of vanilla extract or other flavoring in a bowl and set it out of the way (and out of the reach of little hands!)
- Slice a lemon and leave the slices out in your kitchen.
- Place a few drops of a favorite fragrance oil or essential oil on the inside of your toilet paper roll.
- Add fragrance oils or essential oils to homemade cleaning solutions.
- Turn off the A/C or heat and open a few windows. There’s nothing like fresh air!
Homemade Gel Air Freshener
- 4 tbs Plain Gelatin
- 2 tbs Salt
- 2 cups Water
- 20 drops Essential Oil
- Food Coloring (to desired vibrancy)
- Combine 1 cup of cold water and essential oil. You may stir in food coloring if you’d like to make your gel match your decor, be sure to make it darker than you want it to appear as this will get diluted. Set aside.
- In a small pot, add the other cup of water and 2 tbs of salt, then bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and dissolve the gelatin in the hot water.
- One completely dissolved, add in the cup of cold water with essential oils. Stir very well.
- Once thoroughly mixed, pour immediately into jars or other decorative containers. Allow to fully cool and then place in your favorite spaces to give them a gentle fragrance boost.