There are so many diapers out there and it’s hard to know what to get. This post won’t tell you what to get, but hopefully it will give you a good idea of what’s out there, how it fits and what you might work for you.
The general consensus is that 3-4 dozen diapers is a great number for a newborn diaper stash. Here are a few examples of newborn diaper stashes. I chose a few basic diaper brands. That does not mean that these are the best or that you should buy these exact examples. They are just to demonstrate the cost variance in styles of diaper stashes.
Example 3: All-In-Ones (most like disposables)
3 Dozen Newborn Grovia All-In-Ones
Approximate cost, including shipping: $500
Now, what type of diaper would you like? Below are some photos of newborns in various brands and styles of diapers.
You may also want to refer to our blog post “The Mother Load: Everything you need to know about Cloth Diapering” for a more in depth look at different styles of diapers.
1) It fits her really well.
Blueberry Mini Deluxe Pocket
1) I really like them. They are much trimmer than the bigger pockets but have an adjustable rise so they fit longer than a sized pocket. DS is still wearing them at 16lbs and i think they will fit for a while longer.
1) I really like the fit and easy of these, however, on a small baby they might not be best until the cord falls off.
2) We liked these for the newborn stage but they didn’t seem to last very long before they got too tight around her thighs. We used them for a good month before selling them. No leaks and super easy to use.
3) Nice and trim, but I have had several leaks with both pee and EBF poo. I started using a Thirsties cover over them to contain leaks (still my trimmest CD).
7 lbs 11 oz
Bummies Super Bright
1) Bummis superbrite NB was my favorite cover for the teenytiny size…they are much smaller than Thirsties XS.
Bummies Super Whisper Wrap
1) Liked these especially for our prefold diapers. Seemed to have a bit larger fit than our other covers, and worked well.
2) I like these, they have held everything in but a little bit bulky still.
Bummies Whisper Pant
Drybees Bamboo Fitted
Green Acre Designs
Green Mountain Diapers
1) A little bulky, but they do fit and work well
2) It’s not the trimmest thing in the world, but it does work.
5 lbs 10 oz (Preemie Sized)
Green Sprout Fitted
Happy Heiny Fitted
1) It’s very trim, yet absorbent, and works well with any cover on top of it.
Hillbilly Bunny Fitted
1) Insanely huge.
KCK One Size
1)I like how trim and stretchy this is. It doesn’t contain EBF poo very well. Cheaper alternate to fitteds, I just wish it came with leg gussets.
1) I found these to be too bulky for my taste.
2) Fit our LO perfectly (born at 8 lbs 13 oz). Never had a leak with these. They aren’t super absorbent, but you’re changing them so much when they’re newborns, that they were definitely absorbent enough for our needs. Easy to use.
3) I’m not a huge fan of these, but I can’t say they leak. I just don’t like how big and thick they are. She can barely move her legs once a cover is on top.
4) I liked the KL0s, they kept everything in very well and although they were bulky they did a good job and were easy for us.
5) I love this diaper. Never had a leak. Very bulky under clothes so this is mainly my nighttime CD for now.
1) These were our favorites.
Little Beetle Wool Cover
1) This is my favorite cover, especially for use at night.
Luxe Wool Soaker
Mother-Ease Air Flow Cover
1) Kind of big bit still really functional.
1) A little too bulky for my taste, but they work well
Muttaqin M Babyshapes
1) I’m LOVING the medium babyshapes Mutts, especially since he doesn’t wet that much yet and I don’t really feel like I need a cover with them.
1) *LOVE* these. They really work and fit extremely well.
1) Love these. Great fit and so soft.
5 lbs 10 oz
5 lbs 10 oz (Preemie Sized)
1) Not so great. A little stiff and I don’t like that the tabs can’t cross at all.
2) Used only while LO still had his umbilical stump. Didn’t fit over diapers very well – took some adjusting to get everything in there. We happily stopped using them after his cord fell off.
1) This is my absolute favorite diaper right now.
Sustainablebabyish Hemp Fitted
1) Love! These fit and work great.
1) Great fit (worth having because of this alone), not terribly absorbent and I’m personally not a fan of side snapping diapers. Old style.
7 lbs 11 oz
1) This is our second favorite diaper. It’s still a little big on her, but it’s very trim and works well.
2) Love this diaper. Very absorbent and dries fairly quickly.
3) Thirsties XS AIO wasn’t as absorbent but was a very easy going-out diaper.
1) A little large, but it still fits my tiny girl and works perfectly.
2) Our favorite cover! Love the leg gussets, and fit over both our fitteds and prefolds very well. An excellent cover!
3) It’s still a little big, but I do really like it.
4) Thirsties XS covers worked great, we didn’t have any leaks with them and they were so easy to use.
5) Love this cover. Never had a leak unless my CD was hanging out of the cover (my fault).
Thirsties Duo Cover – Size 1 (Adjustable Multi-size Cover)
1) Works perfectly and fits a bit more trim than the sized Thirsties covers.
Thirsties Fab Fitted
1) A bit large, perhaps more appropriate after the cord falls off.
2) Not a huge fan of these, but I don’t really like fitteds in general. They fit great and we
didn’t have any leaks. I just hate how the entire thing would get soaked.
3) Love the fit and ease of use but the laundry tabs bite and she pees through these in 2 seconds.
Very Baby Fitted
1) BY FAR my favorite fitted. It’s trim, leak proof, and one of the few diapers that fit her when she came home at 5 lbs, 2 oz.
I’d be happy to add them!
Post a reply or email me at email@example.com